Over the Mountain: Chapter 2

Time on the mountain...changed them.

They became more...Wild...Dangerous. More carnal than even the animals themselves. They held no compassion for anything or anyone.

They were following the women. They kept pace with the slow moving vehicle. Silently biding their time.

Suddenly the car came to a sudden halt when they noticed a large tree blocking the road. They both got out to inspect the tree with a flashlight. Not knowing that the car doors had locked behind them both.  After attempting to move the tree themselves they decided to grab the flares from the emergency roadside kit that was tucked in the backseat of the car. As they tried to open the door and finding it locked. They panicked. The mother pat her pockets trying to find the keys. She tried everything she could think of to try to get into the car  short of smashing the window with the old flashlight she had in her hand. She tried to use the last bits of light from the rapidly dimming flashlight she heard the snap of a branch from behind. 

Suddenly a loud and menacing grunt echoed in the night.

The women turned to face the darkness and huddled together. A giant figure came out of the wood. A dark beard covered his face and his eyes were full of rage. He stalked passed the females who shrank away from him in fear.

Unbeknownst to the women, a group of "beings" had come up from behind them. Suddenly, the large beast-like man screamed his rage. The others howled back. He held up his arms and grunted. The others retreated slowly with small grumbles of defiance. They disappeared into the darkness.

The Beast huffed and turned to the tree. After glancing between the tree and the car he began dragging it out of the road like it was more of an inconvenience than a hardship. He crouched down and seemed to pick up something from the ground.  

He approached the women who finally managed to let go of the breath they didn't realize they were holding. The younger girl whispered..."Thank you."  The man grunted and held his hand out. she stepped closer to him as he slowly took her hand in his.  Their eyes met and after a moment he released her hand, and in it, the forgotten car keys.

Suddenly he breathed in deep and seemed angry once more and roared. The mother grabbed her daughter's hand and scrambled into the car. Driving off as fast as they could. The daughter turned to stare back behind them. Not understanding and unwilling to lose sight of him.  

The Beast watched the trail of dust in their wake. He stumbled a few steps forward as he caught the eye of his little mate. She was too small and young. She wouldn't survive the mountain. Not yet. The breeze shifted and a sweet scent filled his senses once again. She smelled like honey and light. She had been RIGHT THERE! But he had to wait...

He howled his grief. The mournful sound vibrated throughout the mountain. Birds flew hurriedly out of their nests from tree tops as the trees were shaken from the tone of the Beast. He slowly turned and went back into the dark mountain. He went deep into the forest and into his home that was inside deep cave. 

There he started planning...