nightmares - gavin reed

// hello !! so upfront warning!! this oneshot contains: a descriptive nightmare and implied panic. while it is sort of comfort i'm still giving that warning! i apologize that this is kind of short D:

enjoy <3

Your heart pounded in your chest and throat as you dashed through an endless hallway. Thousands of voices bounced off the concrete walls, closely resembling a colony of bats. Your shoes clashed against the floor as you desperately bolted to find a door, an archway, anything. You saw a light approaching at the end of the hallway. You smiled as tears flew off your face and into the air around you. You approached the wall and attempted to run through it. You felt so happy. So free. Your heart soon sunk as soon as you felt the cold wall in front of you. In the blink of an eye, the light had faded. Your eyes widened in horror as you heard the voices get louder and closer, turning around and slamming your back against the wall. You slid onto the floor and curled up with your arms covering your head as you screamed at the top of your lungs. You felt someone grab you and pull you forward. "No! No!!"

       "Hey! Hey!!" You heard a familiar voice said as your eyes opened. Your body was drenched in sweat. You trembled in the hands of your boyfriend, Gavin. He had a firm grip on your shoulder and hand, staring at you, terrified. "Fuck." He muttered, and you could see panic etched on his face.      

      "Gavin- Gavin.." You choked out through tears, trying to come back to reality as you gripped his shirt tightly.

      "Hey, I'm right here." Gavin responded quickly.

      "I'm scared. I'm so-" Your voice shook as your eyes adjusted to the dark room, which was dimly lit by the moonlight shining through the shades.

      "Everything is okay, honey. You're safe. I'm right here." He reassured you, trying to conceal his worry. 

        Gavin pulled you close and rubbed your shoulders, kissing the top of your head. Your body shook in his hold. You tried to speak into his shoulder, but you couldn't. All you could do was cry. "Do you want me to stay with you?" Gavin asked quietly. You nodded and sniffed. He carefully wiped your tears away and peppered soft kisses around your face. He stayed close, and soon noticed your breathing was still short and shaky. Your partner placed his hand on your knee and held your hand with the other, keeping his eyes on you. "Hey, baby. Breathe. Come on."

       You watched as he breathed in slowly, and held it, and released with a sigh. Gavin nodded and you slowly took in a deep breath. He followed with you while rubbing your knee with his hand, tracing patterns into your skin. When you exhaled, you could feel yourself calming back down. He continued to circle your skin with his fingertips. "You're doing amazing. Keep your eyes on me. I'm not going anywhere." 

     Your eyes fixated on his features and how the moonlight shone against them just right. You focused on the feeling of his fingers tracing shapes against your knee, and the weight of the bed beneath you. You drifted back into focus on him. His scars speckled his face, and brought a sense of comfort and familiarity. You noticed the tiniest, yet most endearing details. His eyebags, freckles, scars, stubble. The way his dark brown curls fell against his face messily and framed his face just right. You continued to breathe deeply as your gaze fell down to his hand on your knee. His fingers were skinny and rough looking, but his hands were extremely soft and warm. You admired his veins and scars that danced across his fingers and the back of his hand.

       "Are you alright, honey?" Gavin looked at you and raised an eyebrow slightly. "Do you feel okay to try and sleep again?" He noticed the uneasy look on your face and kept eye contact, smiling. "I'll stay with you. I've got you, okay? I'm right here."

       You nodded slowly, giving him a weak smile. He moved to lay down and let you lay your head on his chest. He smelled like coffee and cheap cologne, but to you it was home. His body was warm against yours. You could feel his chest and stomach rise and fall with each breath, helping you continue to ground yourself. You felt your breathing start to level out as he rested a hand on your back. Gavin ran his free hand through your hair and pushed it out of your face. Your eyes were closed but you could feel his gaze, watching over you. You smiled softly as your body relaxed, and you safely drifted off to sleep to the sound of his heartbeat.