Chapter 4: Past Experience

After a long two hours of learning to cook and practically burning down the kitchen a couple times, Meggy and Mario decided to take a small lunch break and dig into the...delicacy...that they had made together with Saiko and SMG4.
The food could've been less burnt, but it was still at least edible. Mario cracked a harmless joke about Meggy's skill in cooking improving, and they both almost fell over in laughter. SMG4 and Saiko could only look on in confusion and shrug it off as they settled down for the afternoon themselves.
SMG4 went up to his room to research the latest memes for his next video, while Saiko went out back with her hammer slung over her shoulder. Whenever she did that, no one dared to follow her. Who knew what horrors she did with that weapon when out of sight?

With them gone, this left just Mario and Meggy in the foyer of the castle.
Meggy shared a small smile with Mario before beginning to walk off without another word.

Mario: I...I had fun with that. How about you?

Meggy stopped in her tracks, her face flushing red. She turned very slightly around so he couldn't see her face fully.

Meggy: ...I had fun too. Maybe this can happen again sometime.

Mario: That would be nice. Well I can see you're in a hurry, so I'll let you get to it.

Meggy sighed to herself silently as she started walking. She couldn't muster the energy to turn around and talk to him anymore.
Once she was out of the Castle, Mario heard Luigi's voice coming from near the stairs. He turned over to see him and Tari coming down into the foyer.

Luigi: That went well.

Mario: Eehh...How long were you standing there?

Tari: Long enough.

Mario: That's...not cool...

Luigi: Come on, Mario. It's clear you two like each other.

Mario turned away from his brother, face turning a light shade of red.

Mario: Um, no. No I don't.

Tari: It's okay to admit it, Mario. It's cute that you two like each other.

Mario: Well I for one, don't like it.

Luigi: That can't be true now, can it?

Mario: Yes it is. Now please stop talking about that. Me and her had a conversation earlier today about this, and we already talked about the possibility.

Tari: ...And?

Luigi: What was the final decision.

Mario: I...Didn't tell her, but I don't know if I'm ready for a relationship...like that.

Luigi: Did we say something to make you so defensive?

Tari: Yeah. You never went this deep into denial before.

Luigi elbows her side.

Luigi: Not helping, Tari.

Tari: Anyways...we made sure to exclude Meggy from this conversation so it would take more pressure off of you.