chapter 29

"Have a seat. We have some business to discuss."  We sit on the couch directly across from Rizzo.
" As agreed you will get the 500,000," Rizzo snaps his fingers. Two men come in with two big duffle bags and set them in front of us. Ma unzips the first bag and pulls money out.
" You can count the money," two money counters are placed on the table between us.
 " We are business partners. We should be able to trust each other," ma put the money back in the bag. He nods," now the second partner of our agreement. Where do you want to set up?" We should get what little area they have in Queens. 
" Brooklyn," I look at ma. 
" Good, Chris will show you the area tomorrow," Rizzo stands up. Ma stands up and shakes his hand. 

I get up and Rizzo turns to me," you young man is a deadly force," we shake hands. 
" Thank you," I grab the bags off the floor. Chris walks us to the front door," call this number in the morning." He hands ma a piece of paper," okay." We walk out of the house to the car. I open the trunk picking up the false bottom. I tuck the bags in then cover it with the false bottom. I get in the passenger seat and ma pulls off. The gate opens immediately and ma speeds off. 
" Why Brooklyn? We could've controlled all of Queen."
" To kill two birds with one stone. JR runs a couple blocks in Brooklyn. We can set up there and take over his clients then his corners."

JR  been a pain in my ass these last couple of years, " okay." Ma speeds through the streets going to Miguel's house. Ma parts in front of a small two story house. We get out going straight to the door. I knock then wait a few seconds before Miguel's girlfriend opens the door. She steps out the way letting us through," she's in the spare room with Kam." Miguel sits on the couch while we walk upstairs to the back room.  Diamond sits on the bed in different clothes and hair in a ponytail.
" I'm sorry Dia. I should have done what we were told," Kam stands in front of her. Diamond just pulls him into a hug not saying anything. We give them a couple minutes before we walk in.

 Kam pulls out the hug letting ma hug Diamond," your back and safe. This will only build your character." Diamond's face goes grim from her words. She's pushing this on them.
 " Excuse me," ma steps back letting us hug. 
" How are you feeling," I pull back looking into her eyes.
 " Like everything has been a dream." I nod," for now on you'll be with someone at all times." She nods looking relieved at my words," let's get out of here." I pull Diamond off the bed and wrap my arm around her. We all walked downstairs," Miguel we're leaving." He gets up and walks over to us," I'll see you in the morning." Ma nods before leaving out the door. Miguel hugs and kisses Diamond's forehead. 

" Keep the family strong until my brother gets out," he points at me.
" I will," I walk out the front door.Kam and Diamond sit in the back seat while I get in the front. The twenty minute drive seemed longer than usual. Everyone is in their own thoughts taking in this last week. The car stops in the driveway and we all get out," I'm going to order dinner. What do y'all want?" Kam and Diamond walk in the house while I grab the bags out the trunk. I walk in the house," Diamond," ma looks at  her. 
" How about some Puerto Rican food?"
 " I can see what I can do," Ma walks off. I take the bags to  the basement and put them in the safe. I take my clothes off and throw them in a black bag. I changed into a fresh black shirt and basketball shorts.

I walk back into the living room seeing  Diamond sitting on the love seat  looking off into space. Kam sits at the end of the couch with her. I sit on the other couch grabbing the remote off the coffee table. I turn the tv on and start flipping through channels. 
"You want to watch something," I point the remote at Diamond.
 " You can put on whatever," she gets more comfortable on the couch. I continue flipping through the channels until I  go on Netflix and put on one of their new movies. We sit in silence as the movie plays. Ma walks in the living room," I ordered the food," she sits on the couch with me. The only sound in the room is the tv, no one don't know what to say.  The night moves on like that.

No one talking but we're all in the living room. After we eat, we  go to our rooms. I flop down on my bed looking at the ceiling. This is going to get tough on Diamond. I'm going to have a talk with dad. Maybe he'll talk some sense into ma. I pull my phone out scrolling through my contacts. I stop at Dominique's number. My finger hovers over the phone icon as I debate whether to call her. My finger presses it and the phone rings and continues to ring. She's not going to answer, my finger goes to the end call icon." Hello," her voice says over the phone. I sit up on the bed," Dominique, it's Kyrie."
 " Hey, why are you calling this late?" 
" Just calling to see how you're doing." 
" I'm doing as good as the situation will allow. "

 " That's not a promising answer." She chuckles," that's the only I can give you right now. How's your sister?"
 " I really don't know. I think she's processing all that happened."
 " Don't push her until she's ready to talk. Make her feel safe and give her a safe space to talk." 
" I will," I listen to her words intensely. 
 " If you need me to talk to her just call me." 
" I will thank you. I'm sorry that I didn't call you back after we went out to eat." 
"It's okay, you had more important things that needed your attention."
 " Well since we didn't finish that date maybe we could go on another." 
"Give me some time to think about." 
" I can do that. Night ma."
 " Night Kyrie," she hangs up.

I drop my phone on the bed and think about what she said. Make Diamond feel safe and give her space. I can do that for a while but I don't know about ma. I lean back on the bed and close my eyes letting sleep take over. My phone rings, waking me up. I feel around the bed grabbing the phone under the cover. Travis name pops on the screen, why this nigga calling me this early? 
" Hello," I close my eyes.
 " One of Akheem's boys got away last night. Now he's in the street talking about how your family and the Rizzo's killed Akheem."
" Fuck," I sit up.
 " You know where he's at?"
 " No, but I will find out."
" I'm heading your way in a minute." 
" Alright," he ends the call. I throw the phone on the bed then  get up.

 I go to the bath and rush in the bathroom then go back to my bedroom. I go back to my room and throw on an all black shirt and cargo pants with air force ones. I grab my phone,wallet,and put my gun in the waist of my pants," Kyrie." I open my door and ma stands on the other side," you up early. What you about to do?"
 " I gotta handle things."
" We gotta meet Chris in a couple of hours."
 " Call me with the location," I walk out of my room going downstairs. I leave out the front door and get in my car.I drive to Brooklyn,how we forget one nigga? There were at least twenty of us and ten of them. How we let this nigga slip past us. My phone rings," Trav." 
" His in the red hook housing." 

" I'll be there in five make sure he doesn't leave."
 " Gottach you," I hang up. I speed to the housing project with one thing on my mind, killing this man. I park a few streets down from the building then get out of the car and walk to the street. Travis leans against his car talking to a few people. I nod at them," wassup Trav," we dap each other up. 
" His sister's apartment is on the first floor in the back." I pull away looking at the building. 
" Alright," I walk past everyone into the building. I walk down the stinky  hall, the housing project needs to clean this shit. Trash fills the hall as children run up and down the hall. A door opens at the end of the hall and a man comes out. He looks down the hall at me then starts running. 

I run behind him out the building across the street. We run a couple blocks down until he goes into an abandoned building. I step in pulling my gun out, where this nigga go? I start going through all the rooms on the first floor until I hear a noise from upstairs. I run up the steps when he runs past me. I let a couple of shots off then follow him down the hall. I run into a  room just as he jumps out the window. I rush to the window seeing him lay on the ground with his one leg twisted. I leave the room and goe downstairs. I walk out the house to the back. As I approach him he withers in pain," you thought you were gonna get away." I bend down in front of him," Kyrie, I didn't say-." I stand up and shoot him twice in the chest. I put the gun in the  back of my pants then head back to my car.