Chapter 3: Goodbye, Ruth ㅠ_ㅠ

Chapter 3

Ruth was innocently leaving the library when a shock of red hair barged into him.

"S-save me, Ruth! Hurry!" Max pushed him back inside and locked the door behind her.

"Madame, I need some caffeine," Ruth said grumpily. He was squinting his eyes and he had a cowlick, as if he had been sleeping on the floor with a book as his pillow.

"R-Riftan is s-so mad at me!" Max bit her fingernail and teared up. "E-everything is w-wrong! I j-just wanted to help him relax, a-and t-take some of his burdens o-off of him."

"Pity, it backfired," Ruth said, apathetically.

One of the library doorknobs shook before a spiked mace lodged a hole through the door.

"Holy—," Ruth said.

The door swung open with its top hinge broken off as Riftan barged through like a linebacker. The massive man was breathing heavily, but was still in good shape. He hadn't broken a sweat yet.

"You two are behind locked doors," Riftan said, menacingly.

For the first time, Ruth understood why some men were afraid of Riftan.

Ruth, what should we do? Max looked at Ruth with wide, desperate eyes.

"Why are you asking him what to do?" Riftan demanded. "Is he your lover?"

"Give it twenty-four hours and everything will be back to normal, Madame," Ruth didn't take his eyes off Riftan.

"R-really?" Max said.

Of course the spell wasn't going to conveniently wear off in a day, but that time would allow Ruth to get some more well-deserved rest, a cup of black tea, and prepare an invisibility spell to stay out of Riftan's way for a while, or at least until the man calmed down completely.

"Yes, Madame. Please continue to distract him while I run for my life," Ruth said.

Riftan stepped one foot forward, which made Max and Ruth take an involuntary step back. How could this man keep getting bigger and bigger over the years? Once again, Ruth became curious about Riftan's origins. Despite Riftan's previous claims, Ruth still believed that Riftan was a quarter-giant.

"You'll go first," Riftan started towards Ruth. He tossed the mace from one hand to the other. Riftan was right-handed, but he preferred his left as his dominant arm for swinging heavy blows.

"Think about what you're doing, Lord Calypse. You've known me for years," Ruth threw up his arms to protect his face. "No one's put up with your pigheaded decisions better than me."

RUTH, SAVE YOURSELF! Max wrung her hands.

"Do you think I can let you live when my wife keeps calling for you?" Riftan said. "Forget our past. This betrayal ends our alliance."

"What? What did she say?" Ruth looked around wildly. "Madame, stop thinking!"

Goodbye, Ruth, Max teared up again.

"Yes. Goodbye, Ruth," Riftan said.

Ruth lowered his arms and became white as a sheet.

The air whistled as Riftan swung the mace over his head. The giant paused. Max was holding Riftan's other hand with two of her own.

Riftan, stop please? Max begged. Her eyes were wet and her thin shoulders were shaking.

Riftan's jaw twitched. "Tell me. Why do you keep calling for Ruth? Are you in love with him?"

"Dear God, Madame. Even if you have feelings for me, tell your husband I'm as low as pig swine, or I won't be able to live," Ruth said.

Ruth is my teacher. He'll be able to solve my problem, Max said without moving her lips. It was a neat trick, but Riftan was too distracted to notice this particular detail.

"You don't think I can help you?" Riftan rose an eyebrow. Reluctantly, he let Max drop her hands away from him.

I need Ruth, Max insisted.

Riftan growled.

Because he's a wizard, Max finished.

Riftan spat and lowered the mace onto the ground.

"You actually put up a shield between us," Riftan told Ruth. "Did you think I was going to kill you?"

"Oh, haha. Yes, good joke," Ruth was still eyeing the mace. "You know as well as I do, that my magic barriers provide no defence against you. You could murder me with one strike. It was a reflex, My Lord."

"Max, tell me what's going on," Riftan turned around.

Max had disappeared through the hole in the door.

"F$#king s$%t," Riftan cursed. "You muted her steps [with magic] and let her escape," he accused Ruth.

Meanwhile, Ruth had fainted into a plush armchair with his long legs thrust forward to keep him from falling off his seat.

"I think I need smelling salts to feel better, My Lord. I was in such a fright," Ruth's lips moved. One of his eyes opened half-way. "But if I were in my right mind, I would like to remind my Lord that his wife is a magic student that already knows some simple stealth spells. You agreed that she should learn some earlier to protect herself."

"Where did she go? You have all the ideas," Riftan clenched his teeth.

"I suppose my Lord has told all the servants to hold Lady Calypse," Ruth closed his eyes again. "She must be avoiding all of them now."

A place with no servants. That described the training grounds perfectly.

"Ruth," Riftan stopped at the door. "I need four protection amulets created by tomorrow for the security detail on the west wall. Make it happen."

Riftan didn't really need the amulets created by tomorrow, but felt like punishing Ruth.

"Bully me," Ruth mumbled. 

-----------

Author's Note: Ruth is innocent! Legally speaking! *(^o^)*