Chapter 7: A Message

Third Person Pov:

"We understand death only after it has placed its hands on someone we love

"We understand death only after it has placed its hands on someone we love."

~~~~~~~~

Grief is like the ocean, it comes in waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometime it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim. Unfortunately, she learned to swim a long time ago.

Grief has no expiration date. You just don't get over inexplicable loss. She knows that our time in this world is limited. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone she knows. It is like walking up stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try to readjust the way you thought of things.

The brown girl's no stranger to death, she's use to it. Yet, grief- grief's a whole other story.

Growing up, there was only two people she was close to. Her father and a boy she met when she was at final selection to begin her job as a Demon Slayer. Unfortunately, she lost both of them. Her father's not dead, though, he's not exactly alive either. And the boy... let's not get into him just yet. 

Now that the Flame Hashira has passed, that's another special person she's lost added to the list. And another reason to avoid getting close to others.

She'll just lose them in the end

So what better way to avoid anymore grief from the loss of others? Avoid getting close to others. But we all know, that's just not gonna happen.

~~~~~~~~

Y/n's awoken from the bright light of the suns reflection. Immediately, she rises up, quickly regretting it as pain settles in her head. Her hand reaches her head, to feel a bandage.

"Careful dear, your head's not fully healed." The voice of the Butterfly Hashira rings her ears as her gaze shoots over to the older woman sitting in her desk chair. Although she's wearing her usual smile, Y/n can still see the masked worry behind it. 

"I'm in the Butterfly Estate, aren't I?" Y/n asks, although she knows the answer. "How long was I out?"

"One week. Do you remember anything? Your age, name, rank, and what happened on your mission?" Shinobu asks as she grabs her pin and clipboard, ready to write down the brown girl's statements. "It's quite alright if you have trouble remembering. You lost quite an amount of blood from your head. So try not to think too hard."

"My name is Y/n Haru, i'm 16 years old, and i'm a Kinoto rank." Y/n answers firmly as her gaze travels to the Butterfly Hashira. She purposely left out the part about what happened on the mission. She does not what to talk about it. Not now and hopefully not ever.