02

Lynne

Sitting in the car with blended windows, I can only imagine how much my little brothers have grown since I last saw them.

Nine years ago I last saw my brothers. They were all so small and cute. Laughing and giggling. Playing with no worry in the world, unprepared for the world. Some will be grown men now, I can't even begin to picture them as anything other than my baby brothers.

I can only see the eyes of the man I called father. The black hair of the man who ruined my childhood and took everything from me. The face of the man that still haunts my dreams.

"Boss, we are here." 

I undo my seatbelt and open my door, stepping in the autumn evening air. For the last time, I check the weapons I have on me. I gun under the back of my blouse and two knives in my pockets, another gun in the boots I changed for my heels, and a long knife in the other. And as a final touch, a small knife held my short hair together in a way I'm so glad I learned.

Walking around my car to the entrance I see the men I brought with me as security, get out of the two black SUVs. The one in charge of getting my little brother's home walks up to me and hands me an earpiece so I can be kept updated about the situation.

"Boss, we are in position. It is clear for now," he informs me and walks into the building before I can as a precaution. I put the earpiece in my ear and walk with my two personal bodyguards inside. 

A week ago, three days before getting the call to my office from the Californian police force, we gotten word from one of our sources that the Guantlia Cartel has plans of sending out a threat to us demanding territory in the state of New York. At first, I thought nothing of it, no threat as vile as they can be, will drive me into allowing another family to take their dirty roots in my city. After the coming of my brothers, I thought differently. They will know about their existence the moment their official adoption documents arrive at the attorney's office. 

The extra security is not for my safety. 

Because four more threats arrived on our doorsteps in the days following the adoption.

Evaline and Mike completely melt into their role as guards and I couldn't see the tease or a laugh behind their cold emotionless masks. I walk up straight and hold my head high, passing the passengers, crew, and airport workers. They quickly get out of our way making it easier to move through the crowd.

I spot my undercover agents between the crowd too easily, but I have to thrust on my enemy to not recognize them as I can.

Tonight I'll see my little brothers again. That's what I'm focusing on now.

The eight of them arrive in a private jet I send there to pick them up, together with multiple of my men to keep them safe on the journey here, after pulling some strings to get my brothers today instead of a week later. The papers for legal guardianship are already signed the day before yesterday and sent to the social worker that's coming over later this week for inspection.

"The plane landed. " I hear in my ear and I quicken my pass to the arrival hall for private planes. My men slowly move with me, scanning every room and checking on possible dangers. Ten are in suits clearly recognized as bodyguards or security of some kind, the rest blended in as visitors and passengers or as workers for the airport.

As I walk through the last pair of doors, I see the plane I own through the enormous glass wall. I stop walking and scan the room to see my brothers standing across the hall.

I cross to the hall to see all my brothers looking at me with various emotions. Finn is holding Nat's hand, but the little boy almost falls asleep leaning against his leg. Finn looks like his father more than I want to admit. Though he has my mom's black hair, his eyes are just like his. He is looking at me and I know he recognizes me, most were too young to remember me, but Finn was 11 when I left.