Chapter 9

Two years and seven months later…

“Oh, come on!”

Hyewon screamed at the sky after slamming the door of her new truck.

“You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me!”

The red haired girl threw a dirty look at her car before screaming at it, finger pointed at the sleek and shiny hood.

“I had you checked the whole day yesterday, made sure that everything’s fine, but—Ugh!”

As soon as she had arrived from Paris, her crazy father, who never had the chance to visit her in France because of the company, half-dragged her back to their family home and proudly shoved her inside the new truck—his graduation gift to her.

It was a newer, more modern version of her mom’s old beat up truck, complete with a GPS system, wireless internet connection and everything else a person would want inside a car (including a small refrigerator).

She fell in love with it at first sight—the very first time she ever loved a car that wasn’t a coupe.

But right now, there was nothing Hyewon would want than to beat the stalled car with a bat.

Fishing her phone from her pocket, she let out a sigh of relief when she saw a few signal bars at the top. At least, unlike the last time, she could actually call for help.

A few taps and the call connected immediately.

‘Hey, baby.’

“Help me. I’m stuck.”

The hearty laugh coming from the other line made Hyewon smile despite of her predicament, and it was only then that she realized how much she missed Jihan.

‘Wow, Hyewon. I just left you for two days and now you’ve managed to get yourself stuck in the middle of nowhere again, for the second time! What would you do without me?’

“Nothing,” she said, faking insult, “That’s why I’m just gonna wait here until a hot chick in a purple chopper stop by and offer me a ride.”

Hyewon leaned on the side of her truck and checked her watch. There was no way she’d reach in time for the party at the Han Estate.

She couldn’t believe she was going to miss her own engagement party.

Jihan was still laughing on the other line and as much as she loved the sound of that, there were more pressing issues to discuss.

“Babe,” she whined, “Stop laughing and fetch meeeeeee—”

‘Oh my God, you’re starting to sound like your dad!’

Hyewon faked gasp and even pressed a hand over her chest for full effect, though no one could see her at the moment. “No, I don’t!”

‘Yes, you do.’

She could hear a few muffled chatters coming from Jihan's line, and the sound of her fiancee’s mother’s voice yelling at the background. Hyewon sighed and pouted when she realized what she was about to miss because of her stupid truck.

‘Stop sighing, Hyewon. I’ll come and get you.’

“You would?”

‘Of course, Miss Jo. If I wouldn’t, then who else will?’

“Well if it’s any consolation, I packed those sandwiches that you love.”

She heard a gasp from the other line and it made her grin.