41. Whole New World

🌟🌟🌟
Reese
🌟🌟🌟

The day after I left Hayden's grave with the determination to win Marnie over, I went home -- only to find my father in the living room accompanied by another, more feminine voice.

I froze when I saw who it was. I never expected to see this person in my life again. She was the reason I was so messed up and angry.

I haven't seen or spoken to my mother ever since she left us, leaving behind some money to pay off some of her debt.

She left us after we tried helping her. She used us, like a fucking cash machine.

She could have ruined my future if my father wasn't here to fix her mistakes.

Anger flowed through my veins. What the fuck was she doing here? What does she want with us now?

When her green eyes met mine, they looked dull, lifeless. I could tell she had been through a lot over the past few months. Still, I felt nothing for her. Only resentment.

"Reese," her voice was tiny and she looked at me with so much pain and guilt.

There was no way I could sit and listen to anything that woman had to say to me.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

I felt livid. How dare she step foot in our house again after the shit she pulled.

"Son, I think you should sit down and listen to your mother."

My father watched me with a hard expression, his jaw tensed and fists clenched at his sides. He was not happy with my reaction.

What does he expect? How did he think I would react to seeing this woman again?

"Listen to her? Why the fuck should I listen to her? What do you want from us?"

I glared at the woman who betrayed us. She was supposed to be someone I could trust, someone who could support me. Who loved and cared for me. She turned out to be a manipulative liar and backstabbing bitch.

Her lip trembled as she began to speak.

"Reese... I... I'm so sorry. What I did was so wrong. I'm a terrible mother, I was struggling after Hayden passed away. It was a hard time. I tried so hard to make everything right but you must understand... that I wasn't in the best frame of mind--"

I could hardly listen to her sob story. There is no justifying what she did.

"So what's your excuse for running off with another man? After Dad tried helping you pay off the loans and credit cards in our names!?" my voice wavered. "You know you're right. You are a terrible mother. I don't want to hear the shit excuses and I'll never forgive you for leaving us. Just go back to where you came from."

Tears fell from her eyes one by one but I didn't feel bad, I didn't feel anything for her but rage, hurt and disappointment. I knew they were fake tears. She's an amazing actress, she deserves an academy award for pulling off the best performance.

"I don't have anywhere else to go. Y-your father and I have talked things over and we've decided to get back together. I've changed Reese, I'm a better person now. I'll never hurt you again, I promise."