58

Nicolette's POV:

My eyes opened and I slowly turned to see Derek asleep in the chair next to my bed.

I pulled the covers back and made my way to the bathroom. As I turned on the water, a deep voice asked, "What are you doing?"

Slowly turning, I put on an innocent smile and said, "Nothing important."

"Oh, so you weren't going to heal yourself with water?"

"Uh, no?"

"I don't believe you, Nicolette."

"Fine. Simple. Water helps heal. Would you rather be in pain or not?"

Derek took my hand and black veins trailed up his arm.

I yanked my hand away. "What are you doing?!"

He seemed visibly confused. "I'm taking away your pain."

"Please don't. We feel each other's pain."

Derek turned on the water and I stepped in, feeling instantly rejuvenated.

A short while later, I stepped out and stumbled. Derek caught me before I hit the floor.

"Bed, Nicolette," he ordered.

"Do I have to?"

"Yes. You have to."

Once I'd gotten in bed and under the covers, he tucked my hair back and said, "I'll see you soon, Nicolette. Please be more careful, okay?"

I nodded. "Careful is my middle name."

He shook his head slowly and smiled lightly. "Sure it is. Get some rest."

Derek's smile widened and his expression softened.

As he was leaving, I said, "That look. What was that?"

"What look?" he asked innocently.

"That look you gave me. The smile."

"I think you know."

Love? Whoa. "I think I do. See you soon, Derek."

"See you soon, Nicolette." He smiled again and left the room.

Stiles' POV:

As soon as I walked into my house, I heard my dad say, "Stiles, if you don't go back to that hospital, I will take you back myself."

"Dad, I'm fine. Honestly."

"I want a doctor or nurse to confirm that."

"Dad-"

"Car. Now."

I sighed, knowing I wouldn't be able to win and got in the car.

As soon as I entered the hospital, Melissa said to my dad, "Thank you for bringing him back."

Dad nodded. "You're welcome." He turned to me. "Stay. I find out you leave without getting checked out, we're gonna have problems."

He walked away and I glanced at Melissa. "How's Nica?"

Melissa nodded. "She'll be okay. She's walking around I think. Last I recall she was at the vending machine."

She led me to a room and started checking me over, which was really annoying and really an inconvenience.

I frowned at Melissa. "I'm completely fine."

Melissa shook her head. "Uh-uh-uh. You completely and totally have a concussion, Stiles. Lie back down. The doctor said you're not leaving without a CT scan. And you know what your dad will say."