r e c i t a l

The dimly lighted backstage felt homely to Avni who was now used to being here every year since her admission to her new university, she re-checked her kurti, the light blue button kurti stuck to her curvy frame and ended just above her knees, she had paired it with straight jeans, her black hair falling over her shoulder. Light yet, enchanting make-up on her face to highlight her chubby features.

She looked pretty enough to perform in front of fifty people outdoor, who even though had come hear her play music but would easily judge her on her appearance.

This was one of the few reasons, even after having enough talent she never auditioned to become a singer, she didn't want to spend her life trying to fit in the beauty standards of millions of people who always forgot that singers were singers, music artist, not models.

"Avni!" Avni's train of thoughts took a turn to look over her best friend, Riya. The girl beamed looking at her, "You look so pretty," she gushed, running wrapping her hands around her.

Avni could not stop the laugh that bubbled through her body, "Thank you, but how did you get in?" She enquired, as much as she was aware family and friends were not allowed backstage.

"Families and friends right? They never said anything about makeup artist," Riya winked mischievously, showing her make up bag, Riya was majoring as a makeup artist, and Avni was sure she would do wonders in that field.

"So you ready?"

"Yeah," Avni replied, smiling looking at her piano note.

"You are gonna play their song again? Isn't it getting predictable?" Riya muttered, looking at the piano note and tittle of song Ajab by Phenomenal.

Avni softly smiled tracing the notes, she understood Riya's worry, she looked towards her, "Riya when their music is not getting predictable over the years how will me performing them will be?" She asked, Riya opened and closed her mouth.

"You think of them so highly," she said, there was softness, Riya understood why Avni believed so much in them, their music had found her when she was not even able to find herself. Music had always comforted her but Phenomenal was the first time when not only music, music artists comforted her too.

"I will record your performance okay? Let's hope they see it, all your performances are getting very famous," she beamed, excitement sipping through her words, Avni laughed, "That's all because of you," she told the girl.

"No. . .listen here, your performance is getting famous because you worked on it, you have practised late at night for it because you never gave up," Riya sternly corrected her, Avni wanted to disagree but she didn't. Her working hard was part of it but it was Riya who was always beside her.

"Avni Mehta," her name was called out on stage, with one last squeeze on her hand which Riya had held she let her go, Avni tucked her hair behind her ears, she entered the stage, the curtains were still down, the announcer was introducing her, she adjusted the notes on the sleek piano and took place on the chair.

As soon she was adjusted in her seat, the mic was adjusted around her, the curtain started going up, there were rounds of clap as the curtain was raised, Avni waited for them to subside before moving her hand on the piano, the familiar beats she had practised flowed through the quiet room, the same beats she had listened to numerous time that now she could hear their voice sing along as she played.

She guided her hand gracefully, softly and making sure to not mess any notes. Avni didn't bother looking towards the audience knowing it would only bring anxiety and distract her. A smile made it place on her lips when she reached at her favourite part Ajab tha woh pyaar, the chorus.

Soon enough it was ending chorus, Avni was nervous, she had never brought changes to a song according to her that was not her, she never needed it but the change she was bringing was something she did while singing along to the song, she did it all the time, she had enough practice, she played it.

She let the song end, just like she had practised, and then she played a part, Ajab tha woh pyaar, again, twice trying to convey the warmness she experienced when she first heard the song and then she pressed the last key letting it go slowly and ending the performance. Avni looked around, the room was filling up with applause, her heart soured, it went well, she did it.

She got off from the stool bowed down, as the curtain fell close, the anchor gave her a smile, "You did well," he encouraged her and then went ahead slightly opening the curtain to continue the competition.

"Ms. Mehta has succeeded in capturing our heart once again, who doesn't love Ajab from Phenomenal, our rising star," mention of their name enough, caused a surge of cheers, Avni smiled and went down from stage as the next participant arranged himself for performance.

She greeted him as she left, he smiled in response and complimented her.

•••

First chapter is here guys!! let's gooo
adding the book to the reading list, votes and comments are appreciated!

Enjoy my loves.