n i n e t e e n

she was guilty.

the next two days hyunjin came again. but chaewon didn't feel any excitement in her. she had been thinking about the bill for hours.

when hyunjin sat next to her bed he announced, "we're colouring today!"

chaewon remained silent. she just stared at the white blanket while hyunjin was eagerly taking out an adult colouring book and color pencils. "it's nature theme."

how?

"chaewon?" the male finally noticed the odd in her. her eyes looked soulless as if she didn't get enough sleep last night. "hey..."

the girl didn't move or reply anything. this concerned hyunjin.

"is something bothering you?"

how does she tell him she doesn't want this? she's guilty for making his family paid for her bill? and how does she tell him there's no point in living when all her family members died?

she wanted to go up there too, to meet her family. in her sick condition she didn't think she has more time left.

the girl took a deep breath and closed her eyes, trying not to cry in front of him. without glancing towards hyunjin, she silently spoke up, "take the money back."

to say he was shocked was an understatement. "why...?"

why? she didn't know. if his family take the money back then she'd be trapped in here or living in debt. how would she find the money? plus, she's sick. what about her medication?

"chaewon," he put away the book and the color pencils. "if it's because you think we're burdening you, you are not. we want to pay for it so let us be."

"what's the point of living if i don't have anyone?"

this broke his heart. hyunjin took her hand. "you have me?"

"without medication? i don't have money, hyunjin."

"there's reasons we are helping you, you know." he gently smiled. chaewon looked at him with teary eyes, slightly confused.

"you're not paying for my necessities."

"chae,"

"what would your parents think of me? a dependant girl who hoped for everyone to help her? they don't even know me to help me."

she frowned when hyunjin didn't say anything. "are you... really?"

the male nodded with a small smile. her eyebrows furrowed before she broke into tears, shaking her head lightly. "i don't want this."

"chaewon,"

"i'll die one day, soon. y–you're just wasting your money." she pulled her hand from his grasp. slowly, small sobs could be heard in the four corners of the room.

hyunjin let the girl cried for a moment before he got on the bed next to her and hugged her sideway. gently rubbing her arm, he spoke, "give yourself a chance, chaewon. i promise you it will get better. you have me, don't you?"

"you're not gonna meet me anymore either." she silently said between sobs. the male smiled lightly. he gave the girl time until she calmed down a bit.

"things happened, my parents changed their mind." he pat her head and she glanced towards him, confused. "my father changed for the best. we're no longer like the old times."

she furrowed her eyebrows as she wiped her tears. "what?"

when hyunjin just sent her a glee smile, she punched his arm while frowning. the guy laughed, "you'll be discharged in two days. right after that we'll go on a date."

"hyunjin, stop making me confuse please." she pleaded, sighing as she took of hyunjin's arm off her. "i don't like it."

"you will know," he grinned while pinching her nose. chaewon frowned and yanked his hand away. "cutie."

🌧️