t w e n t y o n e

a small gasp left her mouth as she looked around, fascinated at the interior design of the western restaurant. there was a chandelier in the middle of the room and candles on each table. the girl silently gulped. she had never been to any fancy restaurants and worried if she breaks anything.

what if i need to pay?

chaewon tugged hyunjin's sleeves. the male bent over a little to reach her level.

"i might don't have enough money." she whispered.

hyunjin chuckled, "silly."

"what if i break anything?"

"it's alright, just imagine this as a normal restaurant. don't think too much about it." he lightly pat her head before following their parents to the reserved place.

the theme of the restaurant was white and red. chaewon felt relief when she chose pink and white for her outfit. at least she won't look odd.

the table cloth was red and covered by a plastic table cloth. a waiter came to light up the candle and took their orders.

again, she tugged on his sleeves. before she could say anything the guy already showed her a steak. "is this okay?"

"uhm.." she was hesitant. imagine coming from a poor family and suddenly you were brought here to a fancy restaurant and eat steak?

"it's alright, dear. just choose anything." she heard hyunjin's mother said. the woman had a smile on and nudged her husband. "my husband here will pay for you."

timidly, the girl glanced towards the man who had a serious look on. he was scanning the menu and when his wife nudged him, he lightly hissed. the woman just smiled.

chaewon looked back at hyunjin next to him. the only son shook his head lightly with a small smile on. "we'll just take this, okay?"

"okay." she quietly said. in her mind, she only thought that everything is going to be awkward. but that was proven wrong when his friendly mother initiated the conversation.

hyunjin noticed the girl was slightly trembling so he held her hand underneath the table, calming her.

"have you been here?" chaewon shook her head. "then we should bring you here often! hyunjin's favourite steak is only available here so sometimes we'd bought it home for him."

the girl looked up to hyunjin with a small smile as she found that cute. the guy just replied with an awkward nod.

it was true, but it's been quite awhile since he had this favourite steak. with the constant arguments between both his parents and them tired of work, they barely bring food for hyunjin at night. sometimes the guy would only eat crackers.

what could he do? his house had nothing.

hyunjin secretly gulped as he tried not to cry. he couldn't believe that his father thought of him not being the family's child and abandoned him for a few years though they were still living under the same roof. his growing up phase stopped during the kindergarten years when the man ignored him one day. most of his friends at school got along well with their fathers but him?

thinking about this more just made the tears pooling at the corner of his eyes. chaewon felt the grip suddenly tightened and she turned to look at him. hyunjin just stared at the steak with his lips pursed.

sensing something was going on, she placed another hand on top of his and stroke the skin softly. she gave him a smile with a nod.

right, don't let your emotions get the best of you.

"thank you for the food." the son muttered before the father could dig in. his mother exchanged glances with the man worriedly.

"honey, are you okay?"

"yeah, yeah i'm fine. don't worry about me." he nodded slightly.

chaewon felt sudden pity in her. she never knows what the guy is going through. it seems like he's holding so much emotions that needed to be let out to someone he trusted.

"excuse me, sir," she timidly spoke up, gaining attention from the leader of the family. "can i bring hyunjin for a walk after the dinner later at the store down the street?"

said guy blinked his eyes in confusion.

"of course, just be careful."

a smile spread on her face. "thank you so much, sir. will do."

hyunjin was a bit shocked. he'd never asked his father anything and the girl beat him onto it. his mouth was a bit agape, only realised it when chaewon clamped her fingers on it to shut his mouth.

the guy blushed, how did she get so brave?

🌧️