The Serial Heartbreaker

PROMPT: Left broken by her first love, Son Yejin swears never to fall for anyone again, vowing eternal revenge

PROMPT: Left broken by her first love, Son Yejin swears never to fall for anyone again, vowing eternal revenge. Using her good looks to get what she wants, she soon makes a reputation for herself for being a heartbreaker.

...until she meets the impenetrable Hyun Bin, who proves to be her match.
-

"So. Who's gonna be your next victim?"

Letting her gaze drop to the floor for a second before her wandering eyes travel the length of the bar, Son Yejin can't help the coquettish smile that plays on her lips as she leans back to eye her prey, like a predator silently waiting to pounce.

She cocks her head to the side, and, without looking at her friend, gestures her head somewhere to the right. "There. Two o'clock."

There offers a view of a handsome well-built man sitting with a group of four, sipping casually on his glass of beer. Yejin peers at him like she's scrutinizing an artwork, and, as if drawn to her, he moves his head to her direction and immediately catches her gaze.

 Yejin peers at him like she's scrutinizing an artwork, and, as if drawn to her, he moves his head to her direction and immediately catches her gaze

She looks away, unable to explain the sudden heat creeping up her cheeks, not having expected him to look her way.

"That's Hyun Bin," her friend quips, suddenly laughing out loud. It draws Yejin to raise her eyebrows questioningly. "Oh, you'll never get him. He'll say no before you even ask him out."

"And why not?" Yejin asks, a hint of renewed vigor mixed with palpable curiosity in her voice at the thought of a challenge.

Who is this man?

"He has a certain type, and you don't fit the bill."

"Oh please, everyone wants me," she spits out confidently, flipping her hair back. Swirling her middle finger around the rim of the cocktail glass in her hand, she pretends to be swaying to the music before swiveling her barstool to the front and looking back again towards this Hyun Bin man.

And she finds that he's still staring at her.

The thrill she always gets when she knows she's about to twirl a man around her finger yet again starts spilling inside her, lending her the fire that she needs to boost her confidence and get the job done.

Whatever she's about to do is payback for the first man who ever hurt her, for all the men in the world who think they're God's gift to women even if they are the exact opposite, and for all the scoundrels who do nothing but collect hearts before breaking them.

That's it. She drops her drink down the bar table, and gets out her compact mirror to check her reflection. "Besides, I do love a challenge."

Makeup, check. Hair, check. Red lips, check.

Deeming herself all set and ready, Yejin gives her reflection a nod and a smile of approval. But before she can hop off her seat to fulfill her night's mission, her senses are arrested by the sudden scent of fresh mint and pine.

Turning to her left, she finds Hyun Bin standing beside her. This man is so tall, he towers over her even if she's already lent some extra height by the barstool.

He isn't looking at her now, but Yejin can sense that awareness of her was fully washing over him, and that awareness was her ticket to get the prize, for no man has ever been able to get her out of his skin.

"Hi," she says, employing her foolproof tactics consisting of her dazzling smile, paired with a repetitive blinking of her almond eyes.

"Hello," he answers back, the timbre of his deep voice reverberating off the table.

She moves her body to face him, plopping her chin down her hand as she bats her eyelashes at him. "Would you like to buy me a drink?"

"No, thank you," is all she gets in reply.

He collects his order from the bartender before giving her the most excruciating once-over, a small grin dancing on his lips, and then vanishing from her sight.

Her friend beside her is practically red with barely-contained glee at the very first time Son Yejin, the resident town heartbreaker, has ever been turned down by a man.

"I'm so sorry," she offers, tapping the spurned woman on the back while laughing.

"Oh, don't be sorry for me." Yejin seethes in fury, gaping at Hyun Bin's form as it walks back to his table.

As he sits down, he looks at her again, and she swears that there, on that wretched dimpled smile, is a hint of teasing that she very much wants to wipe off his mouth.

"It's on."

-
Photos from BAU by Bride and You & Crocodile