8. TINY INFORMATION BITS

Tiny is interested in making her new friend remember. She has to learn how to guarantee she'll be able to accomplish the last order she was given. For that, she looks for the ruby with the intention to set a reencounter. With some luck that will be enough, and if doesn't work for Apatite, it might still work for 67B, who would tell them part of the teal gem's past and might trigger her former lover's memories.
The little pearl puts her hand in a broken-down computer tactile interface. The device is slower than the new models, but the information is upgraded, which is a luxury at Homeworld's underground.
The last report from that particular ruby was introduced by Fire Agate. Since their zone has a severe lack of vigilance, Tiny met various of her gems. Finding the ruby and taking her out for a walk should be easy enough. Then she sees the date, 76 years ago, she doesn't like it, specially because there were at least two reports a year before that. She reads it expecting the worse.
It's the standard casualty report. The one of a vermarine. Tiny is sad for the quartz, until she reads 67B caused the deflagration in self defense, it means Ruby would have ended shattered otherwise, so she's also relieved it went that way. There's an additional note saying she successfully reformed shortly after, and then nothing. No new destination or any other information explaining why there aren't more updates about 67B.
After, the little pearl looks for recent reports of a green sapphire she met at Fire's place centuries ago. She's still there. Whenever someone asks her a question she can tell which gem asked, or will ask, that same question and approximately when it happened, or will happen. A safe start for her search.

Some hours later, Tiny gets to the renegade's base.
Somebody is singing. At first it sounds like a performance worthy of the diamonds, she recognizes a traditional ode to the matriarch's radiance, but when she's able to understand the lyrics they are being changed into a Fire Agate's parody.
Everyone is distracted, Tiny takes the chance to peek her head out of her hiding spot and locate Green Sapphire. She's close enough to jump out and walk to her without being noticed. As she does so, she recognizes the singer as the orange peridot, another one of Fire's veterans, her singing voice is full and high pitched, unlike her talking voice that's all soft and deep.
When the pearl is next to Green she pulls her clothes lightly. The sapphire turns to see the source of the annoyance. She's positively surprised.
GnS: Half whispering. "Mini Pearl!"
Tiny gestures asking Green to be quiet.
GnS: Whispering. "Come in."
Sapphire rises a side of her skirt to let the pearl hide below it. She steps in and sits on one foot wrapping her arms and legs around the ankle.
The song ends and there's a general laugh. Green floats outside the building, stops on an empty corner and lands.
GnS: "It's safe now."
Tiny gets out and makes a respectful salute.
T: "Thank you, my sapphire."
GnS: Smiles blushing a bit. "What brings you here?"
T: "A question, as always."
GnS: "Go ahead."
T: "Where is Ruby 67B?"
GnS: "I have no idea. In case you're actually looking for the answer. Was she assigned here?"
T: "Yes."
GnS: "Maybe I knew her... I don't know. I wish I could remember rubies better. There are so many of them coming and going..."
T: "This one didn't like to fight and had a tendency to overheat and blow when under pressure."
GnS: Remembers the ruby. "That sweetheart! Oh... she went missing. No one ever found her?"
Tiny looks at her rising an eyebrow.
GnS: "I tell you. Let's see... During the lasts years... Clin, pale ruby, thin ruby, and... oh!" Surprised by what she sees. "Fire. Actually, Fire more than the others. Wow... she does care..."
Sometimes the renegades ask Green a common question just to see her saying it over and over mimicking the gems in her visions. Now she must have seen Fire being especially insistent about finding 67B.
T: "And in the future?"
GnS: "You, Clin and Fire... very soon. I guess pale and thin aren't here anymore. And..." Sighs "I'm sorry. Looks like it will still be a recurrent question for as far as my sight can see, you know, about a century."
T: "Don't worry. Nothing about a teal apatite?"
GnS: Finds the question strange. "No. But she might refer to the ruby using an alternative designation. If she says only ruby it could take forever to find her."
T: "You're right... What about only 67B?"
GnS: To herself. "Where is 67B?" To Tiny. "No apatite either."
T: "All right." Salutes. "Thank you so much, my Sapphire."
Green smiles a bit. She's not used to being treated with respect. It flatters her, but it makes her feel weird too, like she doesn't really deserve it.
T: "Is there anything I can do for you in return?"
GnS: "You don't have time for stories now. Come back another day soon, with a good one."
T: Smiles and nods. "Deal."

Tiny manages to talk with Clinohumite in private in an empty station room after another skirt trip. The little gem jumps to the second row to be able to see the face of her interlocutor better.
C: "Long time no see. How has life been underground?"
T: "Constant danger, not much company, lots of darkness, long and narrow paths to avoid being seen... Wanna come with me?" Smiles.
C: "The way you put it... no, thanks. So what did I ask?"
T: "Where is Ruby 67B."
Clinohumite's expression gets more serious.
C: "Oh, she. Fire told us she escaped willingly. But she wasn't that kind of gem. She needed someone to tell her what to do the hole time, always full of doubts."
T: "Like she lost half of her?"
The orange gem finds what Tiny said makes all the sense.
C: "Yeah... So is that what happened? She fell in love and they make her forget?
T: "Yes."
C: Exited "Maybe she escaped after all, maybe she remembered."
T: Not so convinced. "Did she show any change in her behavior?"
C: A bit less exited. "No. But maybe she remembered during the fight."
T: "And decided to leave, alone, away from Homeworld, so she could never find her lover?"
C: "Maybe her couple came and rescued her."
T: "It didn't went that way."
C: "How do you know?"
T: "Because I met the apatite two cycles ago. She's the one I'm trying to help."
C: Sighs. "I just wanted to believe 67B was fine... Wait. I thought you came to investigate the disappearances."
T: "In plural? Isn't Ruby the only one?"
C: "No. Every few years some warrior goes missing during an outer mission. It's been happening for about a thousand years. We've been believing they abandoned the Empire voluntarily to make themselves a better life out there. There are always some planning to leave, but sometimes, like with 67B, it just doesn't make sense."
T: "Any rumors about what's happening?"
C: Exaggerating the expression, growing in volume. "Organic monsters take them and force them to fuse to slowly suck their energy and become immortals!"
T: Not impressed. "Aha... Nice horror story. Now the actual rumors."
C: Shrugs smiling. "The young ones always believe me... whatever." Serious. "Someone once told me she heard a dim sound shortly after an obsidian was last seen, she thought it was some kind of dampened shot. That's all I know."
T: "In that case I think it's time to meet your agate."
C: Surprised. "What is it so special about this adamite that you're willing to risk your freedom for her?"
T: "She's an apatite."
Tiny finds herself strangerly annoyed by Clinohumite's mistake. She puts the feeling aside.
T: "And the risk will be minimum, I've got it covered."
C: Not quite believing pearl. "How? She can kill you with her bare hands. There's no way to minimize that."
T: "Don't worry about me. I recently discovered something very interesting about your agate."
Clinohumite waits for Tiny to continue, but she doesn't. The pearl jumps down to the ground.
T: "I'll be fine."
C: Surprised. "Aren't you going to tell me?"
T: "No."
C: "Oh, come on!"
T: Walks towards her exit. "I have to look after myself. Plus, it wouldn't work for you, you're an off color, and Fire is your superior."
Tiny shrinks and goes through a fissure on the fourth station. After a couple of seconds Clinohumite reacts.
C: Louder to reach the other side of the wall. "You gotta be joking. You're even more off color than I am."
T: Also louder. "I'm exactly as I was meant to be."
The orange gem slowly shakes her head. She concludes her small friend was fooling her since she mentioned the agate.

----------

Meanwhile on the Clif mother ship the scientist group is looking at an astral map showing a parabolic course, tagged as anomalies, that crosses the orbit of a planet called Enim.
Ot: "What on Clif ashes!"
Wjy: "It would explain everything: the missing archives, the unbalanced technology, their mental abilities, the two races, and even their God."
Dpc: "It's wrong not to interfere."
Ot: "We have our rules for good reasons. Have you forgot what happened..."
Scp: "Sorry to interrupt but once these results are confirmed Dragon will already be a part of the conflict."
Scop affirmation makes the others realize there's a chance they're about to miss.