1: Obsession

Part One: Senseless

"Mama, Mama, help me get home

I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.

I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck

It showed me its teeth and went straight for my neck.

Mama, Mama, put me to bed

I won't make it home, I'm already half-dead."

-From "A Child's Walk Home," Nursery Rhymes and Folk Tales"

― Lauren Oliver, Delirium

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Chapter One- Obsession

vampire

[vam-pahyuh r]

1. In literature, media, and folklore, a "traditional" vampire is a demon who consumes blood of humans or animals for nourishment. Sometimes a human who has been bit by a vampire will transform into a vampire themselves.

2. One who seduces their prey for personal amusement.

-------------------------------- -------------------------------- --------------------------------

Don't you dare get this twisted. I'm not usually out at night.

My roommate was getting steamy with her boyfriend, and I didn't want to see Lord of the Rings sex. So, I decided to go to the coffee house. My shortcut there was straight through the park.

Other than my college, the park was Spring Park's greatest treasure. The park was huge and circular, with long winding sidewalks and numerous playgrounds. In the day, the trees shaded you from the light. At night, there was just enough light to see the moon.

I needed to work on my forensics essay, but I couldn't stand the assignment. It was a "choose-your-own-topic", but still. My phone jangled in my pocket, just in case I was going to work on the essay. More likely, I was going to drink coffee and Facebook stalk my high school friends.

As I jogged through Spring Park, the park smelled like mulch. It was comforting, like my mother's garden. The wind rushed past me. I'd gotten my roots dyed a few days ago, so my hair was completely crimson. It was a nice contrast to my dark eyes.

Running was my life. It gave me a special connection to the universe. I used to dream of being a track coach, but my parents had nipped that in the bud.

"No child of mine will waste her potential."

Just tell that to my track-runner legs and my lack of patience.

I disliked college- no, I hated it. They sent me to the South to be a prestigious "Legacy Student". I agreed because they promised that college would be easy.

"It'll be like spending four years doing nothing. And we'll pay for it all."

It was the first time that I'd ever listened to them. And as expected, their plan was shit. None of the sororities were interested in me. The campus was burning hot and full of drunk kids. I was only sticking around because my roommate/best friend, Jackie, promised it would get better in a few months...

As I made my way through the greenery of Spring Park Park, I passed the filthy bathroom building. The dark doors were ajar, like someone was inside. I frowned. The coffee house bathrooms had long lines, twenty-four seven. I might as well use the bathroom before I got there, right?