19: New Vampires

Part Three: Obsessive

"P.S. Murderers kill for pleasure.

Vampires kill to survive."

― Abigail Gibbs, Dinner with a Vampire

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Nineteen: New Vampires

Betrayal

1.      What you feel when a girl you trusted [Ji] kills you, and the other [Laurie] just saw you die.

2.      When Laurie is so shell-shocked that she lets someone [Xiang Long] Turn you into a vampire.

  Tap. 

  Tap.

  Tap.

  At the moment, I sat on Ji's vanilla-smelling couch with Leyla and Natalia. I tapped on my hands on the Lolita pillows, like I was going to die. Every second, my gaze flickered back to the kitchen, and I relived the torture over and over again. I wished I wasn't quaking so hard. I didn't like showing any weakness in public.

  Since Hayden had been dead for less time than Sasha, my Tyson been sucking his blood for ten whole minutes, and Hayden hadn't woken up yet. As long as I ignored the fact that I was in Ji's little murder-castle, I was fine. Oh, God, oh, God, no, I wasn't fine.

  I wanted my Bipolar meds. I wanted to be fixed. I needed to get home- or just to Tyson's house- as soon as fucking possible.

  And at the moment, Hayden was losing his humanity. I could rush to his defense, but I knew I couldn't convince Tyson. That godamn vampire never listened to anyone.

   I didn't know what I could do. I couldn't force my voice to be strong enough, or my expression to be convincing enough. I just sat there, shivering like I was dying.

   After a few more minutes, Sasha crept down the hallway, out of Ji's closet. There was Sasha. Miss cornrowed once-dead annoying trembling melodramatic Sasha. She sat across from the twins and me. There was a tortured expression on her face, as if sitting in Ji's house was killing her slowly.

  Hahahahhahahahahahhahaha. Like she was the only one?

  Bitch, please. At least you were knocked out before they murdered your ass.

  Frankly though, her expression was getting to me more than I cared to admit. The raw fear in her eyes was subtly terrifying. It was like she'd seen death and came back. I wanted to ask her about it, but then I thought it might be inappropriate.

  "No friggin' way."

  Hayden's voice came, as if on cue. It was broken glass. It was choked. Broken. Horrible.

  The twins stood up first, in sync, because they'd apparently just become the welcoming committee. They flocked to his side. I turned and stared.

  Tyson pulled his skinny body off of the twenty-year-old. Hayden stumbled upwards, like some resurrected God. His innards were healing before my eyes. A bit of broken intestine climbed into his stomach, like a demented worm. Unlike Sasha, Hayden noticed everything. He stared at his innards as they climbed back in.

  What had I done?

   Before, I had been so close to destroying Tyson's self-control. Tyson had been so close to giving in and sucking my blood. But he made vague threats and walked away like a big, strong, powerful 'man'... And I got scared. I couldn't stop thinking about watching Hayden die and the way Paul and Ji felt when they were pressed on top of me. So instead of helping Hayden, I sat on the couch by the twins, hyperventilating while simultaneously trying not to think.