Chapter E: Depression and Home

I woke. I got dressed.

I walked upstairs. There was not breakfast. It was Saturday. Scott must still be asleep. I went back to my room and took a shower. I got out of the shower, put on lazy clothes, and fell asleep.

I woke up much later with a cat clawing at my face. I sighed and pushed the hair ball off of me. I sat up in my bed, stretching my arms high over my head. I stood up and brushed my long hair. I pulled it in to a ponytail and changed into ripped jean shorts, a loose t-shirt, and ratted black Converse. I shoved my wallet, mace, and a few bottles of water in a backpack.

I grabbed my MP3 Player and started a mix I had made years ago just for walking around. Some of the music was loud and yelling, other stuff was more calming. I put in my earbuds and walked upstairs. I grabbed my jacket off of my book bag and Scott that I was going out.

I looked up directions for Seattle and printed them back in New York. I now had the paper in my back pocket. It was only a few miles to Seattle, and with nothing else to do today, I thought I’d go and explore.

It’d take me about an hour to walk to Seattle. I thought that if I got tired of walking, I’d just call Peter or Scott to pick me up. But I was determined to walk there, shop around, and walk back.

After thirty minutes, I had gone all the way through my walking playlist, so I turned off the MP3 and took out my earbuds. I checked my map, making sure that I was still going in the right direction, then I put the map, my earbuds, and MP3 in my back pocket.

I stopped walking and sat down on the side of the road. I let my legs rest, I drank water, and retied my shoes. I redid my ponytail then moved on. I’m a pretty fast walker, but I felt like I was going too slowly. I was about to reach the halfway mark, if I wanted to turn back and get the truck, now would be the time.

I thought I’d call home and continue to walk. I called my father’s cell phone, knowing him and my mom would be out doing whatever. He picked up at the fifth ring. “Hello?”

“Hi, Dad, it’s Skyler. How are you?”

“How are you? Did you survive your first week of school there? Make any new friends?”

“Yes I survive, I made one friend. He’s… different.” I paused. “How are you and mom? Still drunk as ever?”

“Skyler. If that’s the only reason why you called me, then I might as well hang up now.”

“Malcom, it’s fair to say that you’ve been drunk a good amount of my life. I’m asking a legitimate question. But, whatever, hang up if you want. Isn’t that the reason you sent me away? Because you were sick of me? You’re not fooling anyone. I know you don’t love me.”

“That’s nonsense.”

“Most parents tell their kids that they were a “happy accident,” I was just an accident. You don’t love me, Sarah doesn’t love me, and hell, sometimes I wonder who does love me? I fell like Scott loves me more than the two of you combined. He gets up early and makes me a homemade breakfast every morning, he welcomes me with a snack after school, and he worries about me. He’s done more to show he cares in five days than you have in my whole life.”

“Skyler, you know that’s not true. We’ve been there all your life.”

“Drunk. You’ve been there all my life completely drunk. Screw you, Dad, don’t bother calling me anymore. I know I won’t call you.” I hung up and picked up my walking. I was mad, and somehow walking faster seemed to take out some of my anger.

Once I reached Seattle and hour later, I shopped around a few stores. I found a cheesy “Welcome to Seattle, Home of the Space Needle!” t-shirt. I also found a new pair of combat boots on sale. After those two items, I ate lunch, then started walking back home.