ONE

FTR or are you back for more?: 

CW: Sexual content, some violence, and strong language. Contains later depictions of pregnancy, may not be suitable for some readers. 

Assyrians, Sumerians, Akkadians, and Babylonians worshipped the Anunnaki as a group of deities. This story pulls from certain aspects of their mythology but is not a wholly accurate reflection of them, and certain liberties have been taken for storytelling purposes.

This is a work of fiction and is not intended to instill or display bias or be reflective of the author's personal belief system.

PEARL

PEARL

This date was tanking faster than the economy. It was my fault. Again.

The back of my neck was on fire from embarrassment, so I rubbed it, looking around the empty restaurant, hoping somebody could save me. My date was probably thinking the same thing. His eyes were locked onto my face for some reason—then I remembered.

Crap. I forgot to put on makeup to hide the burns.

When he kept staring at me, I glanced away and pretended to find the whirling ceiling fans interesting. I mean, they kind of were. Upscale. Chic. And the breeze they wafted my way felt pretty nice. A place like this was usually out of my budget, but desperate measures and all...

I was usually happy to stuff my face with whatever grease-soaked fast food I could get my hands on. But I really doubted bringing a date to a Mcdonald's was on the list of do's when trying to find a relationship.

"What happened to your face?" Flynn asked.

I cringed in my seat.

Tell him a lie. You burned yourself with a curling iron. Tell him you fumbled with a cigarette or something.

But my logical brain wasn't listening, and I blurted out the truth. Because one thing I knew among the millions of things gained in my career, was that I couldn't keep my damn mouth shut.

"Ionizing radiation burns."

I didn't even want to look at him, but I had to. I peeked at him from under my eyelashes. Yep, he was stunned, his lips all mashed into a thin line. I could see the cogs turning through his green eyes in his brain, trying to make sense of the mess sitting across from him.

He blinked, wiping his mouth with a linen napkin. "You mean a sunburn?"

Yeah, a sunburn! Say a sunburn!

"Gamma radiation."

Nice one, slick. We are going to die alone. 

"You know, Pearl," Flynn said, and I cringed again. I already knew what he was going to say. "I don't think this is going to work. You're hot and all, but you are a bit... much."