TWENTY-FOUR

PEARL

It was night, judging by the blackness that swallowed me. I wasn't exactly sure how or when I fell asleep. My memories caught up to me and I rolled over, reaching out for him.

He sat on the far end of the bed. Upon touching his thigh, I noticed that he was dressed, given the smooth fabric that brushed my fingertips. I could only make out his silhouette. Despite the darkness, I knew his eyes were on me.

He was waiting for me to speak.

I frowned, my voice coming out tired. "Dumuzi?"

"I am here."

"Are you alright?"

"Yes. Your things are ready."

I didn't respond. There was space between us now, regardless of the fresh territory we traversed with our bodies. My inability to keep my mouth shut put it there. Despite the discomfort in my protesting muscles, yesterday was the best thing I'd ever experienced.

Judging by how I was in his head, it had been the same for him, and he had a few thousand years over me. Everything felt so right.

He knew something was off with me in my head about the counsel's refusal to listen. Maybe he was giving me space. I wanted to go back in time and slap myself for asking what set him off. I was an excellent journalist, but a shitty lover, because we could have been basking in that wonderful afterglow.

The very one that warmed my cheeks.

My chest ached to be closer to him, to wrap my arms around his neck, but a stubborn sadness caused by my broken social filter kept me from doing so. That, compounded with grief for an entire world.

My world.

It was going to end no matter what I did. The fact ate at me, souring my belly, putting a void in my chest. My eyes prickled.

He placed his hand on mine, enveloping it with warmth. "I am sorry for your tears."

I didn't respond, turning away, fighting back the very things he was sorry for.

***

When I returned home, I submerged myself in a hot tub of water, hissing. We took the same route I did to get to Dumuzi—through the strange alien portal. Having already bathed before leaving, to rid of the traces of him between my thighs, I wanted the hot water to relax and soften my muscles.

It wasn't working.

Everything was a bit... sore. I chewed my fingernails, staring at the scratches on my knees, unsure of how I got them.

I ached to see him, even now, with my emotions so raw and distracting. His rejection still hurt regardless, and I needed time to sift through that.

We were to only focus on enjoying each other. And now, because I was human and my emotions and questions got in the way, that would not happen.

All because of me.

How unfair to him. How unnatural for him. He would have been better off with an Enuki. An Enuki woman was probably stronger, prettier, and a hell of a lot smarter than me.

Letting my eyes close, I dozed off until the water was no longer scorching. I must have actually fallen asleep at some point because when I opened my eyes, the curtain was pulled back and Dumuzi was crouched by the tub. My breath got lodged in my throat.