TWENTY-FIVE

PEARL

My heart felt like it was going to bust right through my ribcage.

I stood in front of an ornately designed door, fist hovering for a knock. Anxiety pooled like acid in my guts, making my hand shake. It's okay. Breathe. You can do this.

It'd been the same routine for the past week: reading books, eating my feelings, and watching Dumuzi come and go. He was always there when I was asleep; either in my bed or in the living room, reading.

A few times I had woken up to him running his fingers through my hair, muttering in his native language, his deep voice sending goosebumps across my skin. The words he spoke to me were so tender that they brought tears to my eyes. He spoke ancient words of love.

I wasn't sure how to respond to something so incredible as that. I could feel his love for me, wrapping around my skin like a hug, and it made me want to squirm. It made my heart flutter and my soul sing.

At some point, I'd have to face it and tell him I felt the same way.

But how?

I was never good at sharing my feelings.

Osa never bothered me again, but I had a feeling they were... still around in my head, lurking like a shadow. I didn't mention Osa to Dumuzi. Would he think I was losing it?

It was important that he didn't know, because Osa wanted me to... to...

To leave.

During the day, François would come by to drop off food. She would try to stay and talk, but I lied about having something to do. I wasn't an emotional person, so I wasn't sad that Earth was going to go kaput.

I was just fucking frustrated.

Frustrated because I didn't like being told no, especially when it pertained to saving my home planet. At least Osa felt the same way. They must have realized how much they freaked me out by shouting at me.

I was done crying and feeling sorry for myself—done feeling worthless that there wasn't anything I could do—right around the time Dumuzi started spending more time away from me.

So, I planned, only doing so when Dumuzi was away, so he couldn't intrude on my thoughts.

Part of me was disgusted at my plan—ashamed—but it was the only plan I had. Between Earth and Dumuzi, I would choose Dumuzi a million times over because I... loved him. I had yet to even say this to him. But I couldn't sit around and do nothing regarding my planet, and he shouldn't expect me to.

I was going to fight back.

The council was wrong if they thought humans were weak. They were wrong about us. We didn't deserve to die. We didn't deserve to be killed.

I figured if Dumuzi was going to spend all of his time at work, then I'd better pay him a visit.

I knocked on the door.

I waited.

I itched my arms, looking down the long corridors to my left and right. The gold moonlight spilled in through the window frames, making the floor underneath my feet look like ice. I fisted the ends of my purple dress. It went thigh-high and was worn intentionally today.

I was never good with words, but hopefully, the revealing dress would speak for me. Just when I was about to back out, the door opened.

Dumuzi's eyes were full of surprise as soon as he looked me over. Then he frowned, his tone so serious it was almost deadly. "What are you doing here?"