Chap-03: A nice tree

The way I woke up wasn't actually that pleasant.

The ride through Hotland and Snowdin was quite long, even with the riverperson's weird quotes that weren't cited in the game, I still managed to get bored and fall asleep.

Actually, I sleep a bit too much, but I'm sure that I don't sleep as much as our favorite little lazy pally pal friend, Sansy.

When I started waking up, I was still inside of the boat, approaching Snowdin. I was very confused as why was it so cold and humid, and most importantly, why was I shaking like a leaf.

I was wearing a large oversized hoodie with a col V shirt under it, I had my hood on and those masks to cover my most sensible areas from the cold: the ears and nose, a pair of long shorts that reach my knees, and a pair of long rainbow socks to cover my legs. They weren't very thick but they should at least be useful. And yet, even with all of these massive clothes, I'm cold... It's not like I'm about to catch a cold because I technically can't...

Now, I was somewhere in the lake of Snowdin, waiting to arrive at the same spot where the protagonist of the story would be, (or not) playing with the water.

I look up toward the nearest land and narrowed my eyes. Not having my glasses on me was kind of hard as my vision would get blurry every time I stopped focussing, and focussing was tiring.

Some monsters were roaming around and discussing with each other, those were also the first monsters that I would ever see. The first monster that I have met was no other than the river person right behind me, and by that, I don't even know if they should be classified as a monster, they are so mysterious...

Far from us, they were a giant blue or grey bear with an orange sweatshirt placing a gift under a tree, as far as I know, they explained in the game that it was a tradition when teens started tormenting a monster by festively decorating it. The villagers would put many presents under the trees as an apology. What I hate the most when the protagonist is doing a genocide and is winning against the monsters is when the dialogue of the bear or the tree change in function of who they killed, in an example, if they kill Papyrus, the skeleton's gift would no longer be there and it would ask if someone stole it.

Wait a minute, ... Am I finally reaching the end of the ride?

Fanta-fucking-stic, even if I'm freezing like a Mr. Freeze, it's fantastic.

Even if I also don't have clothes for the cold seasons, it's fantastic.

And even if I might die from a genocide, it's fantastic— nope, dying is not cool Emi, stay sane.

(for whoever that already have forgotten my name, it's Emilie, Emi for short)

"Do I have to pay for the trip?" I whispered under my breath with an incoherent happy face. I look at the river person from the corner of my eyes and immediately regret it, my right eye began stinging like hell that none of my 'best friends', the heating patches, the treatments, and the syringes could fix that painful pain.

Who doesn't know that pain is painful in 2021?

"Are you looking for theses?" I look at the river person with a 'how the hell' and 'sus' look and stare at the pair of glasses that they are pointing with their covered arm.

Those were my glasses.

Just kidding, here's the deal

I blinked in confusion, almost forgetting about the pain in my right eye because pain is an illusion, and went grabbing them

Yep, those were the glasses that I've been looking for eons and they were right at my feet, waiting for me to find them and put them on.

"When did they get here? I thought I lost them earlier..." the other only chuckle under their mysterious hidden face, pivoting the padlock into the next ground.

I watch them confused for a moment, and then back to the land. I didn't know how to feel about entering Snowdin, it felt like a lucid dream, and I've never made a lucid dream so I probably don't know what I'm thinking about.

It's probably the umpteenth time that I'll speak and think about it, but I really think the riverman is the most mysterious and sad character. Mysterious? Because they are mysterious, we don't know their identity and they can literally know and tell you the day and maybe the time in real life, I sincerely believe that they are aware that they are in a game, and I've seen a theory that River person is conscious that they are forever stuck in a cycle because the protagonist only reset, and unlike the others like Sans, Flowey, and Chara, who tries to stop the player from going any further, Riverperson just gave up.

Sad? Yeah, there's a possibility that they found their identity pointless to acknowledge, their name, their gender, their age, or hobbies, hence the following sentence from the game, «I am the riverman. Or am I the riverwoman...? It doesn't really matter.»

And as they are being forgotten by a bit of every monster, only Papyrus and maybe Undyne remember them.

[...]

"Come again some time. Tra la la." they spoke in a sort of cheery voice. I look at them with a bright smile, even if I knew it was hidden behind my mask, and start getting off of the wooden boat. (without mentioning how many times I would have fallen)

I bid them goodbye, with a quick wave of the hand and turned my back at the Riverperson. Before I knew it, he left.

Oh Goddammit, THEY left.

Here was I now, in the path of Snowdin's way of town, physically and mentally getting ready for meeting monsters, communicating, and most importantly, socializing.

Mh... Nah, I think I'll go on a nice tree instead and wait for someone to find me.