05: Hyung, dance with me

***

***

Jung Hoseok

Min Yoongi is no longer only a brother to me. He is no longer just someone I work with, a bandmate, and he is no longer someone I consider a friend; Yoongi Hyung is more than that.

He's my soulmate.

For years, I always thought that my relationship with him would forever stay as very close friends. Most people tell us that because our personalities are opposite of each other, it's easy for Yoongi Hyung and me to bond because of the saying: opposites attract. The phrase may just be a myth or something that is thrown around here and there as a form of metaphor, but I, for one, believe it.

At first, after hearing other people call us soulmates, it had made me a bit uncomfortable and hesitant because of the fear that they are probably saying that because they ship us, but after hearing it from my members, who started to tease us from time to time, I began to think about my relationship with Yoongi Hyung.

When we were still trainees, Yoongi Hyung stood up to be someone I could rely on, he took the responsibility of being an older brother to me, and I really appreciated that. He might not have been the most expressive person, but as I had got closer with him as days went by, I noticed the way he cared for our other band members and me subtly. At that time ⸺ and even now, Yoongi Hyung is still shy whenever he tries his best to show that he cares even if people might think that he doesn't. It's a shame; really, people are too focused on how he acts coldly that they don't notice that he's a really warm person.

As a person that they always call the sun, Yoongi Hyung is the one that makes me feel all warm inside.

"We're soulmates, Seok."

Hearing him say that really made my heart skip a beat, and I don't know if that is healthy, but it doesn't matter. If I get sent to the hospital because I had a heart attack just by being in Yoongi Hyung's presence, I would gladly let them take me ⸺ not that Yoongi Hyung would like it when I'm sent to the hospital. He cares about everyone as much as Jin Hyung acts as our parent. There are times when the thought comes into my mind that he's worse than Jin Hyung in parent mode.

Nevertheless, as years of our friendship continued to grow, I finally realized that our relationship just can't stop as friends and that Yoongi Hyung being my soulmate because we're such close friends doesn't cut it anymore. I may be one of the oblivious ones in the group, but lately, I have noticed that the way I feel about Yoongi Hyung now is how a soulmate feels love for their partner ⸺ romantically, of course.

It still baffles me that I have only realized that I am deeply falling for my soulmate ⸺ for the person who always reminded me that the sun still continued to shine even in the darkest days. He taught me that nobody could tell me what to do as long as I'm happy and I'm happy when I dance, but I am most happy when I'm dancing with Yoongi Hyung.

I would take him dancing to our heart's content. As long as I am his dance partner, we'll dance from the moment the sun rises until the moment the moon sets.

God, I'm falling deeper than I expected.

I am certain that he is more than just a brother to me and had only just realized how my heart yearns for the man that I am beginning to love beyond life itself.

Yoongi Hyung is special to me, the person I'm falling for, and I am not doing anything to stop my heart from drowning in the ocean of one named Min Yoongi.

Slowly but surely, you're carving your own place in my heart.

When did I finally admit to myself that the feeling that I have in my heart whenever I think of him is more than friendship?

It was on that day.

The day was beginning to end, and we had just finished another day of dance practice. Today was not that bad since our vacation is near and our busy schedules are almost done, like dark skies when it rains, and as the sun finally peeks through the thick clouds, they slowly disappear, and the sky finally clears, showing a beautiful shining sun and the pretty blue sky.

Yoongi Hyung is my sun, and I am his blue sky.

Thinking about him just made my lips unconsciously tug into a smile. I only realized it when I saw my reflection on the large mirror on the wall. My face is turning red as well, even though it's just probably because of the sweat and the exhaustion from practice; I like to think that this is how the thought of Yoongi Hyung affects me.

Everyone else left the practice room, leaving me here with an ample empty space surrounding me and making me feel small as I wallow in my self-pity at the thought of Yoongi Hyung only seeing me as a friendship type of soulmate and not in a romantic type of soulmate. My feelings for him are getting confusing, and I don't know what I really think about him now.

Looking around the room, I release a loud sigh; my sigh echoed across the four walls because of the silence. I looked back in my reflection in the mirror and looked down on my phone before pressing a song in my phone that is still connected to the Bluetooth speakers in the practice room. Because I am the lead dancer in the group, I'm tasked with guiding my group members through the dance steps. I actually like being the lead dancer because this means I have an excuse to be physically close to Yoongi Hyung without making it weird.

Finally, a soft hum of melody echoes in the room as the song I picked is relatively slow compared to all the intense and hyped songs that we danced to today. Right now, I'm giving myself a bit of peace and tranquility as I stand up from the floor and let my body move on its own, following the slow beat and charming melody of the song.

Then, someone walks in and opens the door.

"Seok?" A familiar voice calls my name.

Immediately, my head turned to the door to see Yoongi Hyung standing there wearing the oversized shirt that I let him borrow this morning and a pair of new sweatpants.

"Hyung? I thought you went home already?" I asked him, stopping my body from making any other movement as if he would run away.

He sighed and closed the door behind him, walking a bit closer but not close enough, which made me frown a bit, "I stayed back while the others went home; I wanted to make sure that you won't push yourself in practice.

I smiled, "You're always so nice, Hyung, but you don't have to worry, I've learned my lesson, and I'm taking care of myself better this time. You can go home now if you're tired.

Yoongi Hyung frowned after hearing my response, "I worry because I care about you. You don't have to push me away, you know."

There was silence for a few moments. Seeing him pout and the tips of his ears turning red made me chuckle. I held out my hand for him to take with a smile on my face, "Hyung, dance with me."

Without even missing a beat, he takes five steps and takes my hand with sparkles in his eyes and a smile on his face. The song played again, and we danced and danced. Our eyes never left each other's eyes, and for a moment, I was in pure bliss until he spoke.

"I love dancing with you, Seok-ah."

That was it. That was the trigger. Without responding to him, I smiled back.

I love you, Hyung.

Once again, my heart skipped not one but two beats, it may probably not be scientifically possible, but for my soulmate, it is. Just like always, he managed to make me smile, my eyes forming two arches and my cheeks turning pink. My grip on his waist and hand tightened as I stared at his small figure against mine; our bodies swayed to the music.

If only you'd let me, I'll take you dancing to your heart's content.