𝟑𝟗| 𝐎𝐧 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

I didn't stop until I was in my bed, pretending to be asleep but the way my heart was pounding in my chest, I was afraid that it could be heard down to LEVEL 3. My mouth was dry and I wanted to take a sip of water but I didn't dare get out of my bed.

I waited for him to come into my room for a confrontation but that didn't happen. The night stretched on and on, making me wait even more but nothing ever happened. When my heart finally calmed down a bit, exhaustion took over me.

As my eyes fluttered shut, I heard the horses neigh outside the house.

The next morning I was so utterly surprised to find myself alive and in one piece in my bed. I was still feeling a bit exhausted because last night's sleep was shallow. I kept waking up several times, checking if someone was there in my room.

I wouldn't say that I was scared. I just wanted to be prepared for whenever it happened.

After contemplating a bit, I got dressed and went downstairs to have breakfast. Filth seemed to be busy as always as he laid out the breakfast for me and went into the kitchen to do his work. As I ate, I expected Mr. Night to come here and confront me about last night but that never happened but anyway, I was going to go to LEVEL 1 to do some work.

Maybe, then? I don't know but I sure wasn't looking forward to it.

After finishing my breakfast, I hesitantly went into LEVEL 1 to do work. Everything was already set there for me and without wasting a second I got to work, arranging or measuring things. All the while, I was on alert and I knew exactly the moment Mr. Night entered LEVEL 1.

My heart started racing but I didn't look at him. I pretended to be so immersed in work to haven't noticed him but I still felt his eyes burning on me. He stalked towards me and stood right beside me, a bit too close as he looked at my work before correcting some of my mistakes and giving me more work.

I played along but I waited for him to say anything regarding last night but he never did which was both— a good and a bad thing for me. It was good because I don't have to fight with him right in the morning and it was bad because I was dying to know who that woman was and what she had to do with Mr. Night and why she was there and what they did after I went away in my room.

I just had so many questions for him in my head and the only way to get their answers was through his lips which were currently busy talking about some more new instruments that had arrived here a few days ago. He was teaching me how to use them.

Again, I played along. He never uttered a word about last night. In fact, he was acting as if nothing happened last night. I decided it was better to just leave it for now.

The rest of the day passed quite normally. After finishing work in LEVEL 1, I went to have lunch and played with Maxim in the backyard and bickered with Filth until the dinner was served and after that, I retired to my bed (you know what I mean).

I was laying on the bed, trying to read one of those books from the library when I heard the horses outside again. I glanced out of the window to see that Filth was taking one of the horses out of the stable.

I tip-toed to my bedroom door and snuck out of there before crawling towards the landing to see what was going doing in the foyer.

Mr. Night was dressed, looking ready to go outside and so was Filth.

"Is she asleep?" Mr. Night asked Filth. I didn't know why but the way he asked that was odd. It didn't sound genuine.

"Yes, sir. I have checked," Filth answered. He lied! I didn't even hear him coming to my bedroom to press his ear against my door!

The two of them were definitely up to something!

"Well, then we should be going," Mr. Night said, a bit too loudly.

"Yes sir, the carriage is ready," And with that, the two of them walked out of the house. I wanted to follow them but I had this odd feeling about them tonight. The two of them were up to something and it was my job to find that out!

So, I snuck back into my room and wore my dress. By the time I went downstairs, the two of them were gone. I went to the stable and found the other horse there. What I found odd was that the horse was already wearing a saddle. Something wasn't right but I didn't have the time to think about it too much otherwise I would lose them.

So just like last time, I mounted on the horse and followed them through the woods and into the night. They drove on the same path as last time but instead of going to Lionhest hall, they drove straight until they were almost on the outskirts of London.

Mr. Night's carriage stopped at this old-looking church which might not have been used in a long time but what was he doing here? I saw him get out of the carriage before going inside the building.

I mounted off my horse and followed him there, making sure to not catch Filth's eyes. I didn't have to sweat too much on that because this place was fairly crowded with other people... strangely dressed people. Nonetheless, I went the way Mr. Night did, and right when I entered the building, I felt lost instantly.

The building looked the opposite of what it looked from the outside. From outside, the building looked old and almost abandoned but inside, the building was throbbing with life. There were so many people among whom I was instantly lost.

I remembered that woman asking Mr. Night if he would be interested to go to a 'ball'. Was that this? Though I had a feeling that this wasn't the ball. I wanted to ask someone what this place was but no one seemed to have the time to talk.

Though some strangely dressed men did stop from time to time to scan me from head to toe before giving me a suggestive look which I returned with a glare until they passed. I was at this place of the building which seemed like a reception.

Some people had lined up in front of these counters to buy what looked like tickets. While I stood there and was busy contemplating what I should do from here, I felt someone stepping behind me and breathe down my neck.

I instantly turned on my heels and was about to curse out loud when my eyes locked with Mr. Night's. My heart stopped beating for once at the feeling of being caught but he didn't act the way I was expecting him to.

Instead, he glanced down at his watch briefly before telling me, "You're on time, Ophelia,"

_

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me

You could read up to chapter 47 on Patreon. Read the next chapter on Inkitt for Free. The links are in my bio.

Updating schedule — Wednesday, Saturday

Thanks for reading ♥︎