Chapter 1

Brindleshine woke to a cold leafbare morning, shivering at the cold wind, nipping at her fur. Then a tiny tortoiseshell queen, Lilybreeze, mewed, "We really need to reinforce the nursery don't we? Especially with your kits coming so soon Brindleshine."

The white and brown queen nodded in reply, "Yes, I'm afraid they'll be too cold if we don't."

After Brindleshine had said that, an orange tom walked in the nursery, "I agree, we don't want our kits to be cold. I'll get some warriors to help with the reinforcements."

"Thank you Foxmask." Brindleshine purred as her mate walked in.

Foxmask nodded, "Anything for you Brindleshine. Well, I better go get those warriors." Then he padded out of the nursery, walking over to a group of warriors. Brindleshine saw that Darkpelt, Rainear, and his brother, Firestorm, were in the group.

"Can you three help me reinforce the nursery?" Brindleshine heard Foxmask mew.

The three warriors nodded and walked toward the nursery, inspecting it so they could get an idea of what materials they needed to gather. As soon as they walked away, Brindleshine felt her kits wriggle fiercely in her stomach. "You are fierce little kits." she purred, "You'll be just like your father, maybe even his grandfather, Firestar."

"I hope so." mewed Lilybreeze, "We sure need another Firestar right about now."

Brindleshine nodded, "I agree. But what about Firestorm, Foxmask, Quietsunrise, or Goldensun. They are all Squirrelflight's kits. Maybe one of them is like him..."

Lilybreeze purred, "I know you think that dear, and we all want to believe that, but they are a lot like Sandstorm if I do say so myself. Stubborn but loving and loyal."

"That still shows good leadership." Brindleshine insisted.

"I suppose you're right." Lilybreeze nodded.

"Ugh...." Brindleshine suddenly groaned.

Lilybreeze's gaze grew concerned, "Are you alright dear?"

Brindleshine nodded, laying down, "I think I just need so-"

Then all the world went blank.

_______________________________

"Brindleshine! Brindleshine!"

"Huh?" she mewed in reply, struggling to her paws.

"Your kits will be special! They will be special!" the voice replied, sounding distant.

Brindleshine was confused, "What? Who are you? And what do you mean by special?"

"You shall find out soon enough." the voice said, fading away.

Brindleshine suddenly blinked open her eyes, "Where am I?" she questioned.

"The medicine cat den." mewed Mintpool, the clans medicine cat.

"Yeah! You passed out. Mintpool says you need to drink more water." Echopaw piped in.

Brindleshine nodded, "I guess... Mintpool?"

"Yes Brindleshine." the light brown striped tabby replied.

"I think my kits will be coming in a few sunrises." Brindleshine mewed.

Mintpool nodded, "I know. I've known for awhile. Now what is it you really wanted to say. Spit it out. And you Echopaw, please leave us."

As the apprentice left Brindleshine told Mintpool what the voice had said to her when she blacked out.

"Oh my." Mintpool murmured.

"What!? Is something wrong?" Brindleshine demanded, wanting to know if Mintpool knew something she didn't.

"I've been getting messages from StarClan lately that depict two kits coming, one that is white and brown and one who is ginger. They are called the dusk and dawn who will save the clan. Brindleshine. These must be your kits. Your kits will save our clan!"