Chapter 23

The sunrise after the battle, cats began to mourn for the fallen cats. Longtail, one of the elder, was slain by Jaggedtail, and Jaggedtail was slain by Poppydawn. Mintpool had also died, defending Dawnpetal after being injured. The aging medicine cat was ill with white cough and she just didn't have the battle skills of a warrior. Poppydawn announced that the rogues now had a leader, Darkstar, who was assumed to be Darkpelt. Other than dealing with the rogues, many of the warriors from ThunderClan were injured. Timberstar had lost a life, maybe more, he never said how many lives he had. And Rainear, Dawnpetal, Losteye, Velvetfrost, and Duskwhisper were all in the medicine cat den with life threatening injuries.

"Stop squirming!" hissed Echoleaf, applying dock to Shiverpaw.

Shiverpaw, still squirming, mewed, "I can't help it!"

Echoleaf sighed and finished up with the antsy apprentice. Then she turned to Losteye, grabbing some Celandine from her herb stores, and trickled some of the juice in the elder's eye.

"Thank you Echoleaf, 'tis a shame Mintpool had to leave before seein' ya be a great medicine cat." purred Losteye.

Echoleaf only nodded and turned to Duskwhisper and applied marigold leaves to his flank, "This'll prevent any infection and stop the bleeding." She seemed to be talking just to remind herself more than to inform Duskwhisper.

"Sorry about Mintpool," mewed Duskwhisper sympathetically.

The medicine dipped her head in acknowledgement but said nothing and went onto treating Dawnpetal, Velvetfrost, and Rainear. Although Echoleaf was the clan medicine cat, she wasn't very.... Passionate.

"Duskwhisper, get out of my den and stretch, it's crowded in here and you're well enough to stay in the warrior's den." Echoleaf mewed, not looking back at Duskwhisper.

Duskwhisper snorted as he walked out of the den. Snowfeather padded over to him and gave him a gentle lick.

"I have something to tell you." she purred.

The pale ginger warrior tilted his head, "What is it?"

Snowfeather let a deep purr rumble in her throat, "I'm having your kits."

"Really!?" mewed Duskwhisper, trying not to sound too surprised, "That's great!"

"I'll be moving into the nursery in a few sunrises." Snowfeather continued, "Lilybreeze says she'll help with the kits. After all, she still hasn't gone bad to warrior duties since having Mouseleap, Velvetfrost, and I."

Duskwhisper purred, "That's great! Do you want to go for a walk with me?"

The white warrior nodded, "Sure."

Then the two warrior walked out of camp. Duskwhisper winced every few pawsteps but Snowfeather didn't seem to notice so they kept walking, and they arrived at the lake. When they got there, Duskwhisper noticed a figure sitting at the edge of the shore but on ShadowClan territory. It was hard to make out but he was sure it was Blackwing.

"Snowfeather, can I walk alone? I just want to hunt for a bit and relax." asked Duskwhisper, hoping his mate wouldn't be suspicious.

She nodded and began to head back to camp. As soon as she was out of sight, he skated across the frozen lake. Since it was mid leafbare, the ice could hold his weight. Blackwing noticed him and walked a few pawsteps onto the ice.

"Did you have a dream?" questioned Duskwhisper as he got closer.

The black warrior nodded, "StarClan sent me a message about a prophecy. Nightstar came to me in a dream and gave me the power of stealth."

"So you too..." murmured the pale ginger tom.

Blackwing tilted her head, "What do you mean?"

"Might as well tell you," he began, "I've been given a power and so has Lynxspring. I can sense danger and Lynxspring has great speed. Since you have stealth, you must be part of the prophecy."

The ShadowClan she-cat's eyes widened, "W-what?"

Duskwhisper explained about the prophecy and Blackwing nodded, saying that she'd do whatever it took to help all the clans against whatever was coming. Then Duskwhisper skated back across the lake. He was really questioning how many cats were needed in the prophecy.