ᴏʟᴅ ʀᴜʟᴇ, ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴜʟᴇ

ᴛʜᴇ ꜱʜᴀʀᴘ ᴛᴇᴀʀ ᴏꜰ ᴀ 'ᴘᴀᴅᴜᴀ ᴘʀᴏᴍ' ᴘᴏꜱᴛᴇʀ ʙᴇɢᴀɴ ᴍʏ ᴍᴏɴᴅᴀʏ ᴍᴏʀɴɪɴɢ, ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ᴅᴀʏ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴇɴɪᴏʀ ʏᴇᴀʀ, ᴀꜰᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴘʀɪɴɢ ʙʀᴇᴀᴋ.

Even at 7:30 on May 5th, my best friend still managed to bring down the patriarchy with her every move. Some girl yelled, "Hey!" She was holding the posters and tape, so I suppose she had just put that one up. I laughed loud, catching the attention of people around me. However, people were looking at me before I had brought attention to myself anyway. I had grown a lot over the break; between fixing my horrible posture and playing lacrosse for 6 hours a day, I'd gained about 5 inches in height and my body was, according to Kat, 'giving very much pear.' I waved my friend over and she beamed, running at me. We'd seen each other the day before and I was sleeping over at her house tonight, but we always acted as if it was the first time we had seen each other in a while at school. She squeezed me and I flew up a bit as I hugged her back. We had been best friends since kindergarten, when I kicked Joey Donner in the balls for trying to kiss her. She thought it was so amazing that she bought me a sugar cookie at lunch. When she pulled away, I noticed that she was actually wearing her matching outfit(if you don't like it, as always, you can put a link to whatever you chose!). She usually would never, 'align her actions with other people's ideas,' but I guess she had a soft spot for me.

"Why are you already starting shit, Stratford?" She shrugged, with a small grin. "I dunno, it's fun to rile people up, Verona." She turned my body towards the school, with her hands on my shoulders. "Speaking of riling people up, you're gonna get so many guys this year!" She laughed and I slapped her, dragging my friend into the school, arm in arm. "No, but I'm serious, Y/n! Virgin Mary #2 will have a date by the end of the year!" Everyone calls us the 'Virgin Maries' because we don't really date anyone. I ignored my friend again, walking to my locker. "Who knows, maybe we both will!" I finally reached my locker and Kat stood beside me. "Hey, Y/n!" I waved at my friend, Micheal, that was showing a new kid around today. I guess the kid hadn't shown up yet, because he was wandering around the halls, his head going left and right, looking like a lost underclassmen. At our school, you had the same locker for four years, the freshman replacing old lockers. I ran my hand over my name plaque, before putting in my code. Unfortunately, Donner also had the same locker for 4 years and it was right next to mine. "Of course not." 

"You know me, I can't date and I don't want to!" Of course, her father's random-ass rule, that he kinda applied to me as well. I basically, Kat, and her little sister Bianca, couldn't date until we graduated. But me and Kat were pretty close to that mark, anyway. "Hey, beautiful." I froze in my spot, looking directly in Kat's eyes, instantly. I recognized that voice from anywhere: Joey Donner. He tapped me on the shoulder, lightly and I flinched at his touch. Both Kat and I hated him; he was a horrible flirt, and after he had rushed her into having sex with him, I hated him even more. Usually, he'd flirt with me in a joking way when Kat would reject his advances, but he had never spoken to me first.

I whipped around, seeing him hanging over my locker. I slammed it shut and he hurriedly moved his arm as the door swung away. When it was shut, he could fully see my face and I could see his. His eyes widen and his mouth hung low, before he exclaimed, "Holy shit, is that you Verona?" I looked away, my mouth forming a straight line. "Damn," he gave me his famous Joey Donner smirk, that made girls melt and some guys, too. But, I wasn't exactly feeling it. "You look cute, Y/n." He winked and continued, "Like, you got hot over the break, Verona!" I rolled my eyes, with a bitter laugh, and grabbed my things to walk away. "Hey, but really, Verona. Would you, I know it's like really early for this and all, but would you maybe wanna go to prom with me? Like, we could go on a few dates, get to know each other, and we could be king and queen?"