Paul

Imagine hearing a knock on your front door at 2 AM. You’re in your pajamas and your hair is rat’s nest. Who could possibly be at the door at this house? You peep through the mosaic window on the heavy wooden door on your small two bedroom home.

            The one you bought by yourself, the one you bought after you moved out of Paul’s house.

            The two of you were soul mates, you met in French class when you were nearly 14 years old, and even then, you knew he would always be in your life one way or another.

             You brought Paul home to meet your mother and father when you were sixteen exactly one year before the touch of his lips and his confession of love changed everything.

I never realized what a kiss could be, this could only happen to me.

You watched him love someone else, as he did with you. You both knew loss, it twisted a knife in your hearts.

            He kissed you for the first time in his pick-up truck when you felt mature and, thought that you knew it all, at the tender age of seventeen.

            She was just seventeen, you know what I mean.

It was something you’d only read about in novels up until that point. No one had ever kissed you like that and when he asked you to run away with him four weeks later you handed your heart and all the remnants of your body over to him. With that he gave you the same. You were one, you two were everything.

            “Y/N, I love you, I love you so much, but this isn’t working. We’re too different, we always were, we always will be.”

            “So what are you saying? Are we breaking up? Am I going home?” paul looked at you from across the wood table in your tiny kitchen with the broken ceiling fan, this was your first place together. You were 19 years old.

            “Because Paul, if  I leave, I mean- if I walk out that door, I’m not coming back.” You stood up and grabbed your coat and walked into the bedroom, you started to pack your things.

            “Love, just wait, I just need time to figure this out.”

            “Figure what out, Paul? It’s either you love me or you don’t.”

            “Then I guess I don’t, Y/N. You can’t just put me in a spot like that.

            “Oh, like hell I can, look at all I’ve done for you, and this is how you break it off? I moved halfway across the country, away from my family, away from my life, for you Paul… I gotta go.” You start packing more frantically, ultimately leaving so much behind.

            Help! I need somebody.

            You walked out the front door that night and haven’t looked back since. That was 3 years ago. Paul soon after became a major music sensation, and to watch his rise to fame was both heart warming and wrenching. Loving him seemed as natural as breathing after all. It’s been nearly ten years since you’ve met.

            It’s 1969, and you’re in New York behind the wooden door. You hear a voice outside the door, you know it’s him, it’s Paul. You open the door slowly, staring up at him with deep black eyes. It has been 3 years since you last saw his handsome, innocent face. He looked the same but different, he looked like home.

            “Y/N, can I come in?” you nod “Hi” he says, entering the foyer of your home.

            “Hi.” You say, crossing your arms over your mid-drift. Suddenly the bones under your chest feel sharp, you were bonier than you were 3 years ago, and to the mirror it had seemed you aged. Your hair lighter, eyes darker, skin paler, you were different. You stared loss in it’s red eyes and grabbed it by the horns, you were on a ride through hell for so long.

            “Do you want to sit, maybe?” you say pointing toward the kitchen

            “Yeah that would be okay.” The two of you made your way to the other room, and you went to the stove to turn on the tea. The real question still lingered in the air, why was he here?

            “Still like your tea the same?” you called out from the stove.

            “Yes, two sugars.”

            “I remember.” You keep a poker face as you hand him the tea, and his fingers brush yours. Your eyes meet only for a moment and you break the silence with the clearing of your throat

            “So, what- what are you doing here, Paul?” he looked into the black tea in front of him.

            “I miss you. All of this, it’s nothing with you, without us.” You looked down into your hands, your mind goes blank. What did he just say?

            “Y/N? Y/N?”

Your world goes blank, and the next thing you know, you wake up in your bed, and Paul is standing near the bay window to the right of your bed. The last thing you remember is his plea to have you back. He turns to you, and gives you one of his swoon-worthy smiles. Your heart melts, you still love him.

“Hi, love,” He says looking into your eyes “you had quite a spill. Had me quite worried there for a little.” He came over and sat on the edge of the bed and put his warm, soft hand to your face.

“I want this with you, I want everything.”

“Paul, I-“ you begin to say, you’re at a loss, you had given up hope of him ever coming home to you. You knew he was the one though.

“I’ll come to you, you don’t have to leave New York. The Beatles, well were almost finished anyway, what with John and Yoko, you know what I’m talking about right?” you did, you had heard about the “Bed in For Peace”.

“Paul, I need a promise this time. I can’t just wake up one day and haul out of my life. I built this without you and-“

“And I’m willing to fit into it. Please, Y/N, I’m ready. I want to share this with you” Paul got up off the bed and knelt down on one knee next to your floral bed sheets. It’s 6 AM on a sunny New York morning, and as the light shines in through the window, you feel suddenly more awake than just a moment ago. The light casts a glow around Paul, making his mop top hair look angelic.

“Y/N, will you marry me?”

“Yes, yes of course,” you’re in hysterics and before you know it Paul has leaned in to kiss you and the three year gap between the two of you is completely sewn together.

“I love you.” You breathe

“I love you more.” Paul says between kisses.

In my life I love you more.