Chapter Five: Struck By Darkness

Two Weeks Later

-

"Hi Kittty Kat, Kate!"

A voice popped up out of nowhere. Giving Katalina a startle.

Gripping her chest, she snapped her head sideways to face the culprit. Like she was relieved from being chased by a madman down a dark alleyway, she heaved a loud sigh and scowled heavily upon seeing Josh's smug smile.

"You've got to be freaking kidding me," Katalina mumbled to herself.

She stared up into dark, mischievous brown eyes before quickly turning back to her locker. "I told you not to call me that Josh."

He smirked charmingly as he leaned against the locker closest to hers with his arms crossed.

"I know. But I find something so amazingly satisfying by irritating you. It just fills my heart, you know?" He placed a hand over his chest mockingly.

Katalina pursed her lips in annoyance.

Stuffing her chemistry book inside the small space, she grabbed her biology textbook and fetched her pencil case and her notebook.

"No," she said. "I don't know what you mean. What I do know is that I'm not in the mood for any of your bull crap right now so if you could just go away that'd be really great."

"Oh Kate! You are so silly. And mean." He pouted a bit and punched her shoulder lightly. "Can't a friend greet another friend at school?"

Katalina tilted her head to the side condescendingly as she studied him briefly. He looked too happy today. Which could only mean one thing.

"What do you want me to do? Or is it something that I have to do?"

Slamming the small metal door shut, she turned and strut down the hallway.

Josh hurriedly fell into step with her and slipped an arm around her shoulders. "Oh! You offend me, friend. What makes you think I want something from you, friend?"

Katalina pursed her lips and tapped her chin in feign thoughtfulness.

"Oh I don't know."

Her tone was coated with sarcasm and a hint of bitterness as she assessed the situation. While also trying to get rid of the source of most of her problems at school.

It was times like these that she cursed the classrooms for being so far from her locker.

"You're walking with me down the hallway-that actually has people in it-might I add. You're happy to see me and you're not scorning my skin by saying that I have warts like an old hag. Even tho I don't have any warts on my skin."

She hugged the book to her chest in mock excitement.

"Also, you said the word 'friends' like you're planning my assassination. And you're being nice. An-"

"Ok! Ok!" Josh protested. "I get it. So I do want something."

Katalina gave him an 'I-told-you-so' look and shrugged his hand off her shoulders.

"So will you do it for me?"

Katalina laughed dryly.

"Me?" She pointed to herself.

"Help you?"

She jabbed her finger in his direction making him glance down at it while nodding.

"Yes. That's the whole reason why I asked you, genius."