Chapter I

I watched through the bars of my large cage as my captors unbound me little by little preparing me to fight the abomination that would in the end win, the one I knew inside out, even though it had been ages since I had last thought about this. Everyone here today would be tricked and there will be no winner. I knew this was the last time I would be in this body, sadly. I lifted my head with a single clear thought 'if I have to leave this world, so be it but I'll do it with a BANG'. The crowd started to roar as the gates on the other side began to lift, it was time.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

I walked through the arena, my shiny but worn iron plated armor clanking together and partially blinding the roaring audience. My jewel encrusted sword swinging from side to side as I walked. The crowds started to chant my name "ALTAN! ALTAN! ALTAN!" A sense of pride blossomed in my heart and when I reached the center of the arena I felt ready to take on anything. I drew my mark on the sandy ground and looked to the opposing gate. It was larger than the champions gate because they kept the challengers there, but it was not another person the champion fought. No, the champion fought beasts and monsters hence the bigger gate.
         It was also made of the strongest metal known to mankind, distlubrium, it was a metal most beasts and monsters could not break and it was very good against both physical and magical weapons and creatures, and if forged in a certain way could also be used as the best conductor for magic; but the catch was that distlubrium is very rare and hard to get, so naturally it was expensive. Not many individual people could hope to get a quarter of the price of a nugget of distlubrium let alone get enough to have a useful tool or weapon. Only people in high power like the kings or queens around the known world could afford it to there heart's content. The only other organizations to get vast amounts of distlubrium was the people who ran the arenas whom are mostly called the "very important people" or VIPs they are the people who ran or own the place and the original VIPs would often use distlubrium for the gates just like the one before me.
           I nodded to the man who operated the gate showing I was ready. The gate slowly opened and I peered into the dark passage. Out stepped a beast many knew, you could say it was infamous for killing a lot of champions. It was a dragon. One of the few species capable of destroying distlubrium and had to be monitored at all times. The dragon was large at 30 meters tall and 50 long it had red scales from head to tail except for the belly which had pale yellow scales that could tank a crazy amount of force. The dragon had large fangs that could chop anyone in half, the eyes where a brilliant green in contrast to the rest of the body but held a fire that could burn for several years under conditions that no flames should survive, the tail was long and had a spade of a weapon on the end which wasn't common among dragons. On the back of the dragon were two stubs. These were where the wings would have been if they hadn't been cut off, the VIPs always hired someone to cut of a dragons wings if it knew how to fly. It would happen if the dragon attempted to fly away and was caught again.
         The crowd was wild but after seeing my foe I was not so sure. I had fought many battles but non of the beasts or monsters I fought had ever come close to the power of this beast. "GO GET HIM!" Someone in the crowd shouted. I swallowed before deciding that if I won I would take a little brake, about 6 months should do. The dragon growled before charging I steeled my breath and stepped to the side before I caught it's leg and started to climb onto its back the dragon was not having it and reeled it self onto its hind legs effectively throwing me off, knocking away my sword by a little bit. The dragon turned around and looked at me with spite hatred and cunning, I lunged towards my sword and turned with it in hand just as he lunged. I ducked and stabbed with my eyes closed. The crowds stopped cheering and everything was quite, all but the sound of rough shallow breathing of a dying dragon. I looked up and at my sword, now stuck between two glistening scales as blood poured out. The dragon collapsed to the side as it took its final breathes. The crowds cheered as if they were on fire in praise. I walked over to the dragons head as it muttered something in a foreign language. It looked to me and said "Congratulations Altan, I shall see you again!" it made a gruesome smile before it took its last breath and died. Troubled I retrieved my sword from the dragons heart and started to leave looking back only once at the dragons smile, strangely peaceful for all it had done.