Worlds

Being half Vulcan and half Human is never easy. On Vulcan I am told that I am too emotional and not smart enough to be around other children. On Earth I am told that I am emotionless and that I disturb others with my intelligence. Granted this is all from the mouths and brains of other children, so my mother tells me not to pay them any mind.

I was born on Earth to a Vulcan mother and a Human father. Soon after I started school my parents decided that it would be best for my education to move back to Vulcan. Since the Vulcan Ambassador of the United Federation of Planets also had a Human partner and a hybrid son, who was only a few years older then I am, we had very little issue arriving or moving once on planet. But soon my mother realized the bullying I received on Vulcan was almost as bad as the bullying I received on Earth. Although my Vulcan bullies tended to be less physical than their Earthly counterparts.

When I wasn't in school my father spent his time showing me music from Earth, sparking a life long love and curiosity in music from other planets. My mother spent our time together teaching me about different rocks and stones from Vulcan, as well as other planets. This time with my parents prompted me to join Starfleet when I was old enough, studying aliens music, dances and languages.

One of my favorite traditions in my program is dancing a traditional welcoming dance of the Ocampans race. With a lifespan of only nine years the knowledge of the race is felting, but what we do have is fascinating. The dance itself includes a series of intricate twirls, twists and leaps. As well as dancing simultaneously with and around other dancers, but the joy dancing brings is amazing. Many have made the conclusion that the music that goes with this dance is very human like in its nature and sounds very similar to some traditional Earth music as well. But it is only logical that music at its purest form would sound similar and that people who have known nothing else would draw this conclusion.

The dance leaves even the most experienced dancers breathless and tired. The ending having us close to the ground, our left leg behind our right and the two folded underneath our bodies. Once the music ends and with a flourish of my hair I stand up, smiling and laughing to the others in my group. I look around and smile to those who had gathered to watch us and notice a man who looks as if he is confused by the smile on my face. As I study the man more, I notice that he and I share some features; our pointed ears and eyebrows for one. He isn't the first Vulcan to see me laughing and smiling and become confused by the idea of a Vulcan showing joy with the simple gesture of a smile.

The man stays around until we split up and start to speak to those around us and the man walks up to me. "That dance was extraordinary."

"Thank you."

"Dancing seems to bring you great joy."

"It does," I nod, my smile still ever present on my face.

"I'm sorry," the man shifts a bit, "but I do not believe I have ever seen another Vulcan smile like this before."

"And you still haven't."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm only half Vulcan."

"So am I," I can see almost a spark in his eye as he realizes we have something in common, "my mother is human."

"As is my father."

"Were you raised on Vulcan?"

"Yes, I was."

"As was I. I move to wonder why we are so different in our disposition toward our emotions."

"I lived on Earth for many years before moving to Vulcan. Everyday I was told that I was emotionless. Everyday on Vulcan I was told I was too emotional. So I learned that if I wasn't going to please everyone, I should be who I want to be. And I enjoy my emotions, they help me connect to the music."

"Fascinating." The man shakes his head a bit, "I'm sorry, I'm Spock."

"Spade."

"What are you studying here at Starfleet Academy?"

"Alien music, dance and languages."

"Interesting choice for someone like us."

"What are you studying?"

"Astrophysics, Cybernetics, metaphysics, almost anything they'll let me study at one time."

"I can see that," I look over the books in his hands. "From the looks of your books you don't have long left here at the Academy."

"Fourth and final year. And yourself?"

"Third year."

"If you wouldn't mind, I believe I would enjoy speaking to you again."

"Of course."

"Great," there is almost a smile that creeps onto his face, "but for now I need to get to class."