Chapter One

Personal thanks to BasilHenryeyo for their help encouraging me to get up and write once more and working out some plot issues. Thank you!

3rd Person

"I can't do this anymore", Lena hissed in a hushed tone, sliding the stacks of paperwork over to what was once an oblivious girl. 

It had been over one year since Louie, Huey, and Dewey's fifteenth birthday, welcoming all of the teenage ducks into their sixteenth year of life. It had blown by so quickly and it had seemed like everything was just fine and dandy, but that wasn't the case. 

Webbigail Vanderquack, a girl who learned more about herself and the world in less than 2 years, was flipping through page and page of the stack Lena had handed her. It was all of the money that they owed, including rent and utilities like water, electricity, heating, and cooling that Lena couldn't keep up with. 

"Lena..." Webby started, "Why didn't you tell us? I could've gotten a job, hell, we all could've gotten a job". Lena remained quiet letting the unsettling silence put more weight onto Webby's shoulders. "Lena!" Webby raised her voice, finally lifting her head from the papers to be met with the strongest duck she knew crying. 

Webby's eyes softened with empathy, she didn't mean to raise her voice. It was all happening so quickly she didn't know what to do, she let the papers fall from her hands and back onto the coffee table as she realized what was getting ready to be put on her. 

"We're being evicted", Lena mumbled through one large exhale, the mascara leaving semi-permanent tattoos of shame on her cheeks. Lena acted like she really couldn't believe it either, but she knew the 3 part-time jobs she had taken were never going to be enough to house herself and 5 other ducks. "When?", Webby asked, needing to know so she could figure out where they were all going to live for the time being. 

Lena inhaled shakily, she instantly regretted not telling any of the ducks sooner, knowing the consequences that were coming her way but she had no choice. "Tomorrow morning, 8 am. He wants us and everything coming with us to be out by no later than 8". Webby's eyes widened with shock, she couldn't believe what she was hearing, why was all of this coming to her so late, she would soon realize.

A chill went through Webby's mind and it traveled down her spine and touched the tip of her toes and sunk into the apartment's carpet, it was complex for her to think that in such little time, with still no personal transportation that they were going to be able to take everything with them. "Webby you understand the circumstances, right?" Lena questioned, wondering if the girl was on the same page. 

She did this on purpose. She doesn't have enough money so she's gonna sell us out like that? But how could she...

Webby's mind raced with thoughts that consumed her shock and despair with pure anger. "Are you kidding me?" Webby raised her voice sharply throwing her hands up in the air, "You knew about this for so long, but instead of giving us time to gather our stuff together and move out, you tell only me 12 hours beforehand. Is this so you can take the stuff we leave behind and sell it for yourself?"

The fuming girl stood from the overused cushion on the couch and ran her hands through her hair, exhaling heavily, "I can't believe you" she hissed, glaring at Lena who was staring at her eyes wide almost defenseless, from her peripherals. Lena was speechless, almost angry herself and she deeply desired to argue and yell back about how she was the only one with jobs, and none of them understood what she was going through. 

"Well if your defense is going to stay as weak as your silence, then I might as well go find the people that mean most to me to let them know that someone we trusted was a fraud" Webby let her words hang out with Lena and before she was given time to retort, Webby was gone out a slammed door.