CHAPTER XXIII. "GOOD-BYE TILL WE MEET AGAIN"

Grandmamma wrote the day before her arrival to let  the children know that they might expect her without fail. Peter brought  up the letter early the following morning. Grandfather and the children  were already outside and the goats were awaiting him, shaking their  heads frolicsomely in the fresh morning air, while the children stroked  them and wished them a pleasant journey up the mountain. Uncle stood  near, looking now at the fresh faces of the children, now at his  well-kept goats, with a smile on his face, evidently well pleased with  the sight of both.

As Peter neared the group  his steps slackened, and the instant he had handed the letter to Uncle  he turned quickly away as if frightened, and as he went he gave a hasty  glance behind him, as if the thing he feared was pursuing him, and then  he gave a leap and ran off up the mountain.

"Grandfather,"  said Heidi, who had been watching him with astonished eyes, "why does  Peter always behave now like the Great Turk when he thinks somebody is  after him with a stick; he turns and shakes his head and goes off with a  bound just like that?"

"Perhaps Peter fancies he sees the stick which he so well deserves coming after him," answered grandfather.

Peter  ran up the first slope without a pause; when he was well out of sight,  however, he stood still and looked suspiciously about him. Suddenly he  gave a jump and looked behind him with a terrified expression, as if  some one had caught hold of him by the nape of the neck; for Peter  expected every minute that the police-constable from Frankfurt would  leap out upon him from behind some bush or hedge. The longer his  suspense lasted, the more frightened and miserable he became; he did not  know a moment's peace.

Heidi now set about tidying the hut, as grandmamma must find everything clean and in good order when she arrived.

Clara looked on amused and interested to watch the busy Heidi at her work.

So  the morning soon went by, and grandmamma might now be expected at any  minute. The children dressed themselves and went and sat together  outside on the seat ready to receive her.

Grandfather  joined them, that they might see the splendid bunch of blue gentians  which he had been up the mountain to gather, and the children exclaimed  with delight at the beauty of the flowers as they shone in the morning  sun. The grandfather then carried them indoors. Heidi jumped up from  time to time to see if there was any sign of grandmamma's approach.

At  last she saw the procession winding up the mountain just in the order  she had expected. First there was the guide, then the white horse with  grandmamma mounted upon it, and last of all the porter with a heavy  bundle on his back, for grandmamma would not think of going up the  mountain without a full supply of wraps and rugs.

Nearer  and nearer wound the procession; at last it reached the top and  grandmamma was there looking down on the children from her horse. She no  sooner saw them, however, sitting side by side, than she began quickly  dismounting, as she cried out in a shocked tone of voice, "Why is this?  why are you not lying in your chair, Clara? What are you all thinking  about?" But even before she had got close to them she threw up her hands  in astonishment, exclaiming further, "Is it really you, dear child?  Why, your cheeks have grown quite round and rosy! I should hardly have  known you again!" And she was hastening forward to embrace her, when  Heidi slipped down from the seat, and Clara leaning on her shoulder, the  two children began walking along quite coolly and naturally. Then  indeed grandmamma was surprised, or rather alarmed, for she thought at  first that it must be some unheard-of proceeding of Heidi's devising.

But  no—Clara was actually walking steadily and uprightly beside Heidi—and now the two children turned and came towards her with beaming  faces and rosy cheeks. Laughing and crying she ran to them and embraced first  Clara and then Heidi, and then Clara again, unable to speak for joy. All  at once she caught sight of Uncle standing by the seat and looking on  smiling at the meeting.  She took Clara's arm in hers, and with  continual expressions of delight at the fact that the child could now  really walk about with her, she went up to the old man, and then letting  go Clara's arm she seized his hands.