eight | end

Naruto

     Four months have passed, and my feelings for Sasuke haven't faltered. Not one bit. I know now more than ever that I truly do have feelings for that boy sent from Heaven.
     I wish I could distance myself a little longer. I wish I could bring myself to finally text him, unfortunately I have to be stubborn. I've known Sasuke for a year now. I hope his feelings for me haven't faded.
     Every night before I fall asleep he manages to sneak into my thoughts and I stay up another hour or so thinking about him. His eyes, his hair, his smile.
     The burning in the back of my head is more evident now. Every time I feel it I'm tempted to turn around and stare at him back. But I know if I look at him directly I'll regret it. No I won't. How have I lasted four months without talking to him? I've never texted him back in this period of four months he's tried. But I read his goodnight and good morning messages. I read all the poems he writes to me, I read about how his day was when he tells me through text. I don't even know how he got my number. But he did, and I'm happy he did.
     Walking in the cold is absolutely dreadful. My fingers and nose bright red after trudging through the blistering wind. I miss him. Him. Not just the warmth of his car, not just his snarky remarks, all of him.
     And when I watched him walk into school, I did something I never thought I would ever have the nerve to do.

Sasuke

     The anxiety pools in my stomach each morning as I get ready, thoughts of Naruto filling my mind. Has he moved on? What a stupid question. He reads my messages all the time. He's acknowledging my presence, at the very least. I see him glance at me from time to time. It's only a matter of days before he starts talking to me again. Although, I have been repeating that for the past four months now. Why am I so desperate for that boy? I could have anyone I want.
     Sakura-San's a beautiful girl and, maybe in another time, another place, I would have fallen for her. But I exist in Naruto's world. I exist in his universe. I'm all his, and he's mine. He knows he's mine. I'm ready for him the moment he's ready for me.
     I could pick him up, I could drive him to school again. How awkward that would be. I've found myself pulling into Shikamaru's neighborhood each morning to pick him up. Each morning he snaps a picture and sends it to Kiba.
     Shikamaru makes me laugh. He's funny, I enjoy his company. He's easy to talk to, and in these past four months, I really do think I could consider him my best friend.
     Now of course he's tried to get Naruto to talk to me every so often, but he never responded to the hello I sent those weeks back. Or any of the other messages. He just leaves me on read. The first time this occured, It made me feel awful, and just made me want him even more. I want Naruto's attention, I want to give him attention. I want to drive him to school in the morning so he doesn't have to walk through that horrible February cold. I see him walking by himself in the mornings, shivering his ass off when he could be with me instead.
     "Whatcha' thinking about?"
     "..What?"
     "What. Are. You. Thinking. About? Man, sometimes I wish I could read your mind, you're a weird dude, y'know." Shikamaru told me.
     "I think you know very well who I'm thinking about." I replied. He sighed after laughing to himself.
     "Honestly, I think you should let it go, bro. It's already been like.. forever. You know, that Ino chics pretty into you." I held back a gag as I thought about the platinum blonde who would always not so subtly try to get my attention with her breasts. Gross.
     "It's been four months, Shika." Yes. Shika. We were on that level now. It made me happy knowing I had a friend as close as him I could confide in. It made me feel safe, almost as safe as Itachi made me feel. But when your best friend is your brother, it does bring down your confidence in the slightest.
     "Aw come on.. Saucy.." He snorted. I choked on my air as we pulled into a parking space.
     "...Shikamaru. Did you just call me Saucy?" I asked as we closed the car doors, squinting in the morning dark with our school bags slung over our shoulders.
     "Uh - yeah? You call me Shika, why can't I call you a nickname? You know, Sasuke, Saucy. Same thing." I laughed and pinched the bridge of my nose in second hand embarrassment.
     "Don't ever call me that again, bastard."
     "You got it, skank."
     We both grinned at each other and started making our way to the school building. Shikamaru's body trembled violently and he blew warm air into his hands.
     "Jeez.. you couldn't have parked closer to the school?" He snapped, although I knew he was upset about having to walk, nothing to do with me of course.
     "Shikamaru. This is the closest parking spot to school." We both walked in silence before laughing quietly to ourselves.
     "Whatever, let's just get this stupid day over with. It's almost Friday, right?"
     "It's Monday."