Chapter 1: / A New Chance

I apologize if this first chapter is slow, this chapter is to get the reader familiar with the main character's story and the setting

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, September 19th

I put on my silver earrings, stepping back to see how I looked. I peered down at my watch. It was 6:42. 'Crap, I hope I'm not late.' I thought to myself. I patted down the front of my pencil skirt to flatten it out, and fixed my lopsided collar. 'This outfit will have to do, I don't have time to change again.'

    I reached for my door handle, my fingers gripping down on the bronze metal, with my other hand steadying the door frame. My door slowly opened and I stepped outside, being careful to close the door the same way. 'Please don't let them hear me, I don't have time to talk right now...' I thought, tiptoeing down the hallway, the best I could in my squeaky boots.

    "(Y/N)?" I heard my mom call out softly. I froze and cringed. 'Joan and Marc are going to be so pissed that I'm late for drinks! What do I say to get her off my ass?' I quietly sighed as I turned around and trudged down the hallway towards the living room. My shoes clacked on the wood as I approached where my mom's voice had come from, I stood in the door frame and looked up from my feet to see her sitting on the couch with the usual look of irritation on her face, book in one hand, glass of wine in the other.

    "(Y/N), where are you sneaking off to right now?" Mom's cold voice asked me. 'What am I going to tell her... should I just tell the truth so she doesn't ask too many questions?'

    "I'm just going out to see Joanna and Marcus. Is that ok?" I sighed again, leaning my hip on the door.

    "Oh, you're seeing them today? I haven't heard from their parents in a while. It's good to see you're staying in contact with your old church friends." Mom drawled, still gazing at the book she was holding.

    "Mom, I won't be seeing them at all if I have to stay at home talking. I have to be there in 10 minutes." I stated plainly. Mom looked up at me, slightly taken aback by my words. She did this often, pretending to be surprised at the way I spoke to her.

    "...Okay then. Have fun." She replied, after glaring at me and looking me up and down. I turned back and walked down the hallway and reached the front door, grabbing my keys from the ashtray. I opened the front door with a bit of a struggle. I looked back down the hallway to see my mom peering around the corner at me. I shut the door behind me and speed-walked to my Jeep, unlocking it and hopping in. Before I took off, I shot Joanna a text.

    "I'm really sorry Joanie, I might be late. I'm heading out right now." Pulling out of my driveway, I thought about what I would tell them happened the week before, with my mom and dad, and how I was going to deal with it. 'Should I even tell them what happened? I feel like it would be weird to tell them, after not seeing each other for this long. I used to tell them everything though, I'm sure it would be a good way to get back in the groove of our friendship.'

    I turned up my music to calm down and skipped through a couple songs, before I got to my current favorite. I had been in the habit of listening to early 2000s songs, it made me feel nostalgic. I hadn't even finished the song when I arrived to the parking lot. Tonight was busy for Lily's Lounge, because at first glance, the lot was full.

    I was nervous, I hadn't really gone out for drinks before. The most drinking I had done was with friends in high school, which felt like ages ago. In reality it had only been 3 years since then.  I found a space near the back to park my car. When I stepped out, I looked around to see everyone else was dressed very casual.