His Voice

Work days at a school clinic were, for the most part, predictable. Routine.

Until they were not.

"Miss Jugo, you gotta come." A burly kid, Kevin, a member of the school's varsity basketball team came rushing in. "He's hurt. Coach Steve says he broke his wrist."

"Alice, get us an ambulance." Paula shot to her feet, simultaneously giving orders to her secretary as she grabbed the medical bag and her phone. "What happened?"

"We took a tumble, ma'am," Kevin trotted beside her. "He fell real bad."

Hay, basketball.

Her thoughts were on full alert, turning scenarios in her head as well as calling on her inner calm so she does not panic. Just another day at the office.

"What do we have?" She directed her question to Steve who was trying to keep the other players from crowding around their injured teammate.

Who turned out to be Julian Muñoz.

Her heart sank a bit. Julian was a star player. Depending on the severity of the fracture, the kid could get benched for an unpredictable length of time.

"Well, the usual." Steve sighed heavily. "Julian was on a fastbreak, tried to do a layup. Kevin here tried to block the shot and the next thing I knew, there was a bundle of arms and legs on the hardwood."

She nodded understandingly, her eyes locked with Julian's who was on the floor cradling his arm.

"Hey, how are we doing?" Paula knelt next to him. "Do you feel faint or do you feel like throwing up?"

"No, ma'am," he said quietly.

"Cold?"

"A bit," he admitted.

"Okay, just stay calm and don't move." She grabbed the blanket proffered by Alice who had followed them with additional supplies and her backpack, and her cardigan.

"Ambulance will be here in a few," Alice reported.

Paula nodded in acknowledgment, wrapping Julian in the white fabric. She also gave his back a quick rub. "May I see?"

Julian extended his arm, wincing in the process. His right hand was at an awkward angle and she felt sorrier than ever. He would have to refrain from any activity that may aggravate his injury and impede his recovery.

"We have to immobilize your hand for now so it doesn't get worse, okay?"

He just nodded, keeping a brave face. She could clearly see in his eyes, though, the same fear she had seen so many times in several similar situations that befell athletes like Julian. They did not fear pain. They feared being kept away from doing what they loved--active sports.

"The ambulance will be here soon." She began to apply the splint. "Who can I call about your condition?"

"My dad but he won't answer his phone if he doesn't recognize the number," Julian supplied. "He'd be on board right now."

On board?

"He's a DJ," the teenager added, seeing the confusion on her face.

"Oh."

"We have to use my phone," he told her, then sucked in his breath as soon as she secured the knot.

"There, all done," she said soothingly. "Do you have your phone with you, then?"

He shook his head no. "It's in my bag."

"Here." Kevin proffered the backpack. "I got it from the locker room. I stuffed your clothes in there too."

"Thank you, Kevin." It was she who accepted it.

"The phone is in the front pocket." Julian pointed to the bag.

She fished it out for him and just as she handed the gadget to the boy, the EMTs arrived with a stretcher.

"Let's go." She stood up and slung her own bag on her shoulder.

Julian managed to contact his father not long after they left the school grounds.

"Paps, don't panic, okay, but the school nurse needs to talk to you."

"WHAT?"

The voice boomed straight into Paula's eardrums.

"Mr. Muñoz?"

"What happened to my son?" The man sounded worried and scared.

And friggin' sexy. God! It was so sexy, it's almost erotic.

"Sir, my name is Paula Jugo," she introduced herself, shaking her head to clear it from where her thoughts were taking her. "I am accompanying Julian in the ambulance and we are on our way to the Medical City."

"Oh, my God."

"Your son had an accident playing basketball and broke his wrist."

"Shit." He let out an expletive then quickly took it back. "I'm sorry."

"No worries," she assured him and continued. "How long will it take you to get to the hospital? You'll be needed there to sign waivers and consent forms especially as your son is a minor."

"I'm on my way now. I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Perfect." She flashed a smile to her patient and gave him a thumbs-up sign. "Mr. Muñoz, do you have a family physician we need to notify?"

"Uh, yeah, I'm...um..."

"It's alright if you don't have his details right now. We can get in touch with him later. Or her." She looked at Julian. "Here, I'll pass on the phone to your son. We'll see you in the hospital emergency."

"Hey, Paps," the boy greeted his father.

Paula looked away to give them some semblance of privacy. She would have moved off to the farther end of the ambulance but there was hardly any room to do so.

She looked away and shut her ears as she tried to make sense of why her heart was beating so fast, why her hands were cold and clammy, why her throat suddenly felt so dry and most of all, why she felt so attracted to a man who may have the sexiest voice she had heard, and who may, in all likelihood, be married.