O N E

𝕭𝖑𝖆𝖈𝖐 𝕾𝖜𝖆𝖓
𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕺𝖓𝖊
* * *

IT STARTED AS A GOOD DAY.

Sunny Marsh was taking a walk on her day off in the streets of the city. It was New York, a busy town full of busy people who would just continue their own boring routines without looking back at whoever they passed by.

But a few people did however turn to double-check after passing by Sunny Marsh.

A woman that had a fork on her oversized jean jacket amongst many, many random types of pins and brooches tends to stand out.

Though she did not seem to care about the odd looks she was getting, at all. It was like she was alone on the streets, ignoring everyone and everything and just taking in the unusual nice weather.

"Yo, baby, you wanna get married?" She was pulled out of her thoughts when a man whom she didn't notice, had been walking by her side for some time spoke up.

The dark-haired woman stopped walking and stared into her interlocutor's eyes blankly. "Yes."

He widened his eyes in surprise and started to back away from her. "Oh. Okay."

Sunny watched him walk away, confused, but shrugged it off and resumed her walk when she noticed the familiar street.

A few meters away, a sleep-deprived man was waiting for her in the entrance hall, her business card in hand. But that, of course, she did not know of.

"Are you Mrs. Marsh?" He asked a random old lady passing by.

"Oh! You're looking for Sunny? She's out for a walk, she'll be back soon enough." She replied politely before walking away.

A bit later, he noticed an Asian woman near his own age walk through the door and check the mailbox under the name Marsh with her key.

With a confused frown he stepped closer to her. Was his friend mocking him? SHE was the best private investigator you could find?

"Excuse me?"

"Yes?" She replied without looking at him.

"Are you.. Ms Marsh?"

"Yes."

"I need your help." The woman paused in her actions and finally turned to face him. As if realisation just hit her, she shut the mailbox, her eyes wide.

"Uh.. Wrong person." She walked away.

The man stayed stunned for a moment before snapping back to reality and following the woman up the stairs hurriedly. "Wait, hold on, please, my name is Adam Delaney, and my son is missing, I really need your help."

"I'm sorry for your son, but I can't help you Mr. Delaney. I don't do that anymore."

"But the police dropped the case and I was told you're my best chance at finding him! I even have the case files with me right now, if you'd just look at it-"

She stopped in front of a specific apartment door and rummaging through her small bag, she took out keys and glanced at Adam. "You're not the first person to come to me, looking for what is already long gone. I don't want to give hope to people who should be grieving, not anymore. Hope... Is suffocating. Let go before it kills you."

He watched as she entered the apartment and was about to close the door behind her. "I'll pay you a hundred thousand dollars."

Sunny swung the door open, her jaw on the floor. "What did you just say?"

"Will that be enough?"

"Are you kidding?" She widened her eyes and thought of the matter for a few seconds.

While she was doing so, he took a moment to take a good look at her. She was a very attractive woman, younger than he expected her to be. Must have been in her early thirties. Also considering her outfit, she seemed to be quite different. Eccentric, actually.

That overly accessorised jean jacket over the white lace crop top, the many rings, necklaces and earrings, the long purplish bohemian skirt and the cowboy boots. Was that a fork next to that Queen pin?

Sunny was thinking about the money. That was a lot of money. If she managed to find that missing boy, there were a lot of problems she could get rid of with that hundred thousand dollars. This was definitely a good day.

"You said you have the case files?" She checked. He nodded, lifting his hand to show the thin-looking file. "Then shall we take a look at it? Do you like tea?"

"Um, I prefer coffee." He followed her inside.

"Yeah, you do look like you need it."

* * *
I was too excited I had to write it now
Me and my five ongoing stories are vibing