4. decisions

Swallowing the bile collecting at the top of my throat, I glanced back down at my wrist watch. Three fifteen. I sighed in annoyance and bounced my leg uncomfortably. I'd been waiting in the Starbucks cafe for over and hour. Where was she?

April my best friend was never late. But usually we planned all our meetings or study sessions. But after my my encounter with Azrael I ran from my house and called her on the way. I needed my best friend. April was the only person who believed in my curse she had been my best friend before my grandma died. And never left my side. Even after the scary ghost stories I told her I saw when people touched my hand.

I pulled my android from my pocket and refresh my notifications..nothing from April. I sat down my now empty coffee cup and made my way to the bathroom. I'd call her if she wasn't here in five minutes.

I reeled back when I saw my reflection in the mirror. My hair was more wild that usual, sticking out in all different directions. My cheeks were swollen and red, along with my nose. My expression was cold and lifeless, my eyes drained. I never wanted to see my parents like that again.

After splashing cold water on my face a few times the girl staring back at me was still a stranger. The only familiar thing I saw was the wild, untamed curls that fell along my face.

My phone pinged once. Breaking my from my trance in the mirror

1 missed call. -BEST BITCH

April called me. I grabbed my phone and redialed her number she picked instantly

"Hey girl I'm so sorry I know you needed me at Starbucks, but I stopped home for my wallet and mom ran out the damn door on me AGAIN. Wanna come over? I'm on twerp duty." April rambled on in one long sentence, never taking a breath. I nodded on the phone like she could see it

"I'll be over. I'll grab a pizza. I have a fucking story for you."

----

The heat in the room was driving me crazy. April was tending to her four year old brother Alex, cutting his pizza into bite sizes at his demand. Her head craned to stare at me with worried eyes.

"You mean," she paused glancing at Alex "D e a t h" spelling it out "himself was inside your dinning room?" She ruffed her brothers hair before stepping back "but wait, you saved Cherry's life? Why?!"

April hated Cherry. For dating Jesse Crane, her forever crush I supported my friend and her imaginary relationship with Jesse but not enough to justify letting Cherry die.

"Because I acted on impulse April! I've never been in that situation!" I ran my wet palms on my jeans "but that's not all..." I gulped and told her what Death said and showed me.

"You have to kill her?" She sat beside me , eyes glossy "or your parents go?"

I laid my head on the counter and sobbed unable to answer her questions. After Eleven years of seeing death, it didn't bother me, but killing someone was different.

"Yep that's what he said" I sighed again "What do I do April?" I felt her hand on my back and she rubbed in small motions.

"Maybe do what he says Luna, think about it. For as long as I can remember you've had this curse. And every vision you see does come true, so it's not like it's YOUR fault she's dying. It was her time"

I smiled at my friend rubbing my forehead crumbs falling off from the tables surface "your right April, I still don't know how I'll do it" I drummed my fingers on the table thinking

"What if I just..don't kill her and stop our vacations? Then it won't happen"

April's brows pulled together as she thought about my theory. Maybe I really could out smart Azrael.

"But.. whenever your parents touched you before you saw a different death, so I'm sure Grim can change the situation whenever for his benefit, if someone is to out smart death, like that movie we watched on my birthday Final destination"

I slammed my hand down on the wood causing April to flinch, Azrael did change their fates once. Im sure he would again.

"I have no choice then, Cherry has to die"

I stayed the night with April. Preparing myself for the next morning, somehow I'd figure out at school how to get close to Cherry..and how to cause her death to actually happen this time.

🕥🕥

The next morning was a blur. But I had my answers on what to do, maybe it was my sick twisted mind that gave me the idea, or maybe Azrael was more in my head than I thought.

Cherry would die after school today. I cringed at the thought. I didn't much care for her, or her manners. But she was only a year older than me, and no kid should die.

Thinking back, I should of known I'd never be able to change a vision. all the times I saw a dark figure lurking in the tree lines, anytime I felt eyes lingering on my back, it was him Azrael always watching waiting for me to screw up. I wish now I hadn't shrugged it all off. Or this curse. I wish now I didn't slash those tires that day, because now I knew for sure. I'd never be able to save anyone I loved. I'd never be able to love, not knowing when they would go.

April agreed to help with my plan, April was what I called a teachers pet. Especially with Coach Toni, our gym teacher.

Fifth period rolled by quickly, as I grabbed my gym bag and headed towards the girls locker room. April was already talking to Coach Toni about tomorrow's volley ball game, asking her if they needed any extra hands for after game clean up. I rolled my eyes.

I didn't need a distraction this early, she was just sucking up.

After stretching and running a few quick laps Coach Toni told us to gather up to go outside to the track, today was the run a mile she was always obsessiving over. April and I personally thought that she got a raise of all the girls did well on their run.

Once the girls began walking outside I hung back, waiting for everyone else to leave first, triple checking that Coach Toni was utterly distracted by April I made my way into the parking lot towards Cherry's red bug, new tires and all.

---

So if you ARE reading what do you think she's doing??