Chapter 5

Chapter 5

We didn't pick roots or plants or really anything that day. The Sulis was worried about the current supply and decided to allow the flowers to grow on for a few more days. Instead, we were pulled into Assembly. Sara gripped my arm and pulled me into the open theater with Aylee. Although her ironclad grasp on my arm was a bit agitating, my eyes were drawn to the platform.

Na'ale and Natori sat on two seats in their traditional attire. Na'ale wore all silver. A dress stretching all the way to her ankles and her sleeves decorated with gold lining. If I squinted, I could see the two knives poking out of her left boot. Her long hair had been let down and she was constantly twisting it around in her hands. Natori was thrown into a dark blue Khama that also stretched to his ankles, but his attire cut halfway from his waist down revealing his baggy black trousers and an array of knives in golden holsters on his belt.

"What are they doing here?" Sara whispered to me as she pulled me into the second row of seats. I shrugged. Assembly usually consisted of a sort of town hall with a few of the soldiers answering questions about the city. It was the way the court allowed for an open dialogue once in a while. You could say anything with no consequence.

Usually it was a boring conversation about taxes.

Once everyone settled into their seats, Natori stepped out of his seat. We watched him fidget with his belt for a moment before nodding.

"As you all know," he began, but it was in vain. The whispering that had begun from the moment we had entered had only grown louder. Natori cleared his throat, but no one paid him any attention.

Aylee nudged Sara and whispered something to her which caused her to laugh. Sara leaned in and asked if I wanted to hear a joke.

"Is it about Natori?" I glanced at Aylee.

"Yeah." Sara laughed and I shook my head.

"No, that's fine." I looked back to the stage and waited to see if Natori could grab the attention of the people. Instead, I caught sight of him glancing back at Na'ale who seemed just as lost as he was.

He owes me, I thought before standing up in my seat. Sara gripped my Ba'aki in dismay but I shook her off.

"Hey! Everyone!" I shouted with all of my energy and instantly the people looked towards me in confusion. Having their attention though, I realized how silly I must've looked. Heat raced to my cheeks and I put a hand to my head. I gestured to Natori and his eyes locked onto mine.

Sara gripped my Ba'aki again and this time, I allowed her to lower me back into my seat.

"Are you insane?" She whispered before sitting back in her seat with a huff. Na'ale smiled in my direction.

"Okay. Thank you." Natori said and my eyes widened. Almost instantly, I heard someone scoff behind me and another one sigh dramatically.

"That boy will never be a Sulis." Aylee grunted and Sara giggled.

"Shhh." Sara responded and I looked back to Natori. He had clearly heard her. Everyone around us had, but he pretended not to.

"As you know, we had to stop the Gathering today. Umm, I think there were a few more dry fields found and until we can resolve that issue-"

"You think?" A woman in front of us asked and Natori looked down to his belt and began fiddling with it again.

"Okay." Na'ale stepped out of her seat. "This can either be quick or slow going. I'd rather it be quick, but the more we talk over each other, that won't be the result. Understand?" Her words were sharp yet not unkind.