Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Before the war, the Shadowmakers had a nickname for all of the tribes. The Healers had been their closest in proximity and received the most endearing term of Saxbihs or sweet friend. The Philosophers were intelligent and although their relationship with Shadowmakers was surface level they had been called Madhi or Big Brained. Even the Nightshades had a nickname in Sissay, Adjen which meant stranger.

"But not like how we see strangers." My father would say as he recalled the past one night over dinner. "It was what they named me and the older soldiers as well when we came into the cities seeking asylum. It also meant "new one". Someone that could potentially be a friend."

"But you weren't seeking asylum." I had pressed and he looked away from me. Although we sat in the dining hall eating fish and rice, his favorite meal, he didn't look at peace.

"But we weren't seeking asylum."

"What was the name for the Shadowmakers?" I asked. "Did they name themselves in Sissay?"

"Nalkey." He pushed his food to the side and stood to leave. "It meant Strong Light."

So when Na'ale came knocking, I decided to put the nickname to the test. I was named for a dangerous flower. My people, a Strong Light. No back pain was going to stop me from answering the Sula and figuring out how to fix it.

Of course, my back just had to be difficult. I hadn't made it a few paces before I found myself sitting on the top step and practically crawling down like a weak spider that hadn't learned to use it's webs.

Pulling myself up from the last step, I took in a deep breath and opened the door. I wished I hadn't pretended everything was fine when my father was home. He would've given me something stronger to soothe the pain.

"Yes?" I asked, leaning heavily against the door frame. Na'ale pushed her way in and I practically tripped over my feet and landed on the floor. She looked both frustrated and apologetic as she roughly helped me up and her words flew from her mouth in a hushed whisper.

"They took Natori! I was practically in bed this morning but you heard the shouting right? The screams and the booms! I don't even know what could have possibly caused it but now I'm hearing reports of a bombing and the Mahcam was in flames! Flames! And Natori was in the Courts at the time! But somehow he managed to escape right before! I don't know, but being near the scene of the crime and you know how no one really likes him, he was taken in by the soldiers and dad says he can't do anything because it would look like he's favoring him and I don't know what to do!" 

I'm going to be honest. I didn't catch anything she said. She sucked in a long breath like she was ready to recite another long rant and I pulled myself into the living room and sat on the couch. Patting the seat next to me, I waited until she settled on the plushy black object before leaning back and asking for a repeat.

"Natori was arrested for the explosion and I don't know what to do."

"He didn't do it. You don't have to do anything." I shut my eyes, for some reason the wound was now throbbing. Why couldn't I be a secret Healer? That would have come in handy. What was the point of being a Shadowmaker?

"You don't understand, they're going to convict him."

"And why would they do that?" I laughed. "No matter what the people think of him, no one would frame a Sulin. It's a death sentence."

"Because what if he did cause the explosion." She murmured and I turned to her in horror. Na'ale couldn't be serious. Why would Natori cause an explosion? Natori could barely stand on stage without fumbling over his words.

"What?"

"He was talking to me earlier this week." Wringing her hands in worry, I noticed her playing with a braided black bracelet. It vaguely reminded me of art class. I had made one for Sara and had lost the one made for me years ago. "He thinks all of this is a punishment. And he talks about trying to restore peace with the other tribes all the time."

"Why would he cause an explosion at the Mahcam?" Her brown eyes grew cold for a single moment, barely perceptible if I hadn't been looking directly at her. She must've seen me wince once more because her eyes searched my form before landing on my back.

Walking over to the window, she pushed it open and I gaped as a long root seemed to burst from the ground and land in Na'ale's hand. A single flower erupted from the tip of the green and aged in a matter of seconds. She plucked the bright yellow blossom and the roots escaped back into the Earth like it had never been moved.

"There was talk about a breach of contract with the Philosophers. Natori and I overheard some soldiers talking about taking out their water supply. They'd be more inclined to trade with us." Na'ale shook her head. "Natori ran to dad and it didn't end well."

"So you think Natori blew up a building?"

"I don't think, I know my brother." Na'ale had crushed the petals in her hand before placing a hand on my head. "Now tilt your head all the way back or it'll burn your tongue."

I didn't recognize the flower, but nodded and did as she said. Na'ale muttered a prayer before pouring a handful of the flower into me and simultaneously reached under my Ba'aki and the other handful of the plant had been pushed into the wound.

"Don't move." She said as if she could hear the scream that threatened to rip out of my throat. We stayed that way for 2 clicks before she finally let go of my back and I fell against her. Fatigue filled me but I didn't feel the prickle or burn of the scrapes I had earned running head first towards an explosion. I didn't want to admit it, but father had been right. I was stupid for doing that.

"Then what are we supposed to do about it?" I asked quietly and she shrugged. Gently pushing me onto a pillow, she began pacing. Her fingers deftly twisted her bracelet as she moved. "Break him out?"

"You're laughing. You think this is funny." said Na'ale. She didn't look remotely happy about it, but she was right.

"You can't seriously think we can plan that large of a scheme. Especially if he actually did it."

"No one got hurt." I didn't know if it were the effects of the flower or her words, but I began giggling even harder. "Well not seriously."

"It doesn't matter. He's the Sulis's son. He'll be let off on a warning."

"Daddy doesn't give warnings." She bit her lip. "Ruwaida, please."

"Why me?" I asked and she stared at me like I was stupid.

"Because you carry the Shadows."

Hearing someone else say what I suspected everyone knew scared me. This wasn't just another paranoid thought or another sentence I was taking too far. This was a girl I went to school with -and we hadn't interacted much then either- who knew. Who actually knew who I was.

"What? No-I..." I moved to stand on my own, but I felt tugged down by something. Turning around, I no longer felt the tortue that had come with each scratch but something far worse. Elongated finger-like streams of darkness stretched in all corners around me. Closing my eyes, I strained to pull the shadows back, but they stayed almost pulsating against the walls surrounding me. It looked like it was moments from wrapping its arms around me. The pain must've triggered it. "Na'ale, I-"

"Don't bother. You're going to help me get Natori out." She gestured around me. "Or I tell everyone where the Shadowmaker hides."

Remember when I called her sweet?

"Na'al-"

"Meet me by the Mahcam tomorrow at sunrise. You should be fine by then." She leaned down and placed a hand on a single black coil. It evaporated at her touch. Sighing, Na'ale strolled towards the door.

"If we break him out, it'll make him look guilty."

"He is guilty." She slammed the door behind me and I trembled at her words. She seemed to have made up her mind about Natori, but I hadn't.

"Dang it." I took in a breath and let it out. Inhale. Exhale. As I soothed myself, I felt the shadows retreat. Once I could look back to see a natural shadow, I made my way to my room. If I were to go into the End Roads tonight, I would need Na'ale's knife and my father's sword.