Chapter 15 - All Alone In This

Clementine turned to Jane.

"You do not understand what it feels like to be all alone in this... You really don't... Because you WANT to be alone!" Jane frowned and screamed back.

"I DON'T WANT TO BE ALONE! I HAVE TO BE. I DIDN'T CHOOSE TO BE ALONE IN THE FIRST PLACE!" She started crying. "I lost my sister... Jaime." She said quietly. Luke walked over to her and rubbed her back. Clementine got harsh.

"We all lose people... But so what? I lost my parents and I never even got to say goodbye." She said. Luke flashed her a look that said stop. "... And I lost All of my friends. Because of you...."

Clementine looked down and cried into her palm. She heard a loud pop noise. She looked up only to see Jane standing there with Luke next to her, eyes wide. She slowly looked down at her stomach and saw nothing but blood. After that she collapsed. Luke screamed and Clementine remained quiet and looked around from where that came from. Behind Jane stood Arvo.

He dropped the gun he held and fell to his knees. Luke turned to him, and got up.

"Luke no..." Clementine said, warily. He started walking towards him. "Luke... Stop..." She said, louder. He started running, he growled and raised his fists. "LUKE, STOP! " she screamed, running to him to hold him back. He lightly pushed her away and told her to stay back. She just jumped at him again, and he pushed her away again. "STOP!!" She screamed, hugging him. He picked her up and threw her to the side. She went flying and landed. Her head bashed into the frozen ground, and everything went blurry, then darkness...

Clementine opened her eyes after what felt like hours. She felt one side of her body warm, and the other cold. She rubbed her eyes and sat up, looking around. She was placed by a campfire. Luke stood away from her.

"Luke?" She asked. He turned around, wearing one of the old reenactment coats.

"Clementine..." He walked over to her, and kneeled down to hug her.

"Yuck..." She whispered. She had realized that the snow melted around the fire, and the ground was muddy and wet, making her clothes cold and muddy.

"I'm sorry Clem.. I didn't mean to go off like that." He said softly. "I'm so sorry.." His voice cracked. Clementine sat up on a log and Luke sat next to her. It was painfully quiet before the curiosity got the best of Clementine.

"...Where's Arvo?"
Luke's face went still. The color flushed him as he shifted his gaze to her.

"I- uh-.." He stopped. "He got away." He said to himself. She fought back her tears. This is what happens when you're grieving. You cry out of nowhere. He must have heard her, because she felt his warm hand pull her head to rest against his chest. "I promise I'll never let you down again, Clementine." After the words he said echoed, all that remained was the sound of the fire crackling in the background. It was peaceful. It was like God was giving them a break from all of this for a night.

Luke had something on his mind that he wanted to talk to Clementine about, and she could tell.

"Say it." She said. Luke looked at her with his mouth slightly open, but then he looked back at the fire, and his expression went back to normal.

"I looked in your bag to see if you had any medical supplies for your head wound." He said in a deep voice. Clementine hadn't even realized that she had a head wound. She reached up and felt the large bloody bump that was just above her ear. She realized what he was getting at. The bottle. "I found that bottle of whiskey you were carrying around, but noticed it wasn't open." He said. He looked back at her. "You weren't plannin' on drinking, were you?" He asked in a grim voice. She stuttered, but answered.

"No, of course not. All I know was that it smelt like what Nick drank when I was in the shed with him by the river..." That made Luke close his eyes, almost as if he saw it coming.

After another few moments sitting there in silence, Luke finally spoke.

"Would you like to drink some with me?" Clementine wasn't sure what it'd do and didn't yet grasp what the concept of alcohol was. All she knew was that it made people have fun.

"Uhmmm..." She said, unsure of what she should do. "I don't want to do anything stupid." She said. Luke smiled at her and condescendingly chuckled.

"Don't worry, I'll watch out for you, Clem. If you can even handle a sip." He said. You could tell that he was exhausted from his voice and his eyes. She paused for a second before nodding her head. He popped open the lid and passed the bottle to her. "Watch out. It's strong." He said. She grabbed the bottle with her cold hands and put it to her lips. She tilted it back and immediately spit all of the contents from it all over Luke's shirt and jacket. Her tongue and throat burned and she passed Luke the bottle, one hand on her mouth and her face was red. She coughed and hacked and managed to choke out a few words.

"No more.."

He laughed and slid off his jacket then his orange sweater. He was wearing a white t-shirt underneath it.

"Yup, that'll happen." He sighed. He twisted the cap off and sipped it, then put it back on. She sighed and looked at Luke in the eyes, and he did the same to her. It was silent, but not awkward. They exchanged smiles, which soon faded into frowns.

"I don't know what I'm going to do without Kenny..." She said, her voice getting high and cracking. He looked sad. The bags under his eyes darkened.

"I don't know how I made it until now without Nick." He said, looking at his arms. "But we have got eachother... " he took another sip of whiskey.