Chapter 5: This changes everything

Hiccup's POV
It has been 2 months now since that day, since the day when my best friend start losing himself.
He rarely left the room, and when he did, it was only because my dad forced him to come and eat.
Sometimes when I pass the door of his room, I could hear his crying, but they immediately go silent if he hears me or anyone. It pained me to see my best friend like that! What was even worse, is that he won't let me help or get close to him.
I was watching my best friend losing himself and I could do nothing about it.
It was night time, I was in my room, still thinking of a way to help my friend. Suddenly I heard a door being open a light footsteps. Excitement and hope filled me, I knew who it was, it certainly wasn't dad, his walking can make sound as loud as Gobber's snores.
"Donar?" I whispered and got up from my bed before making my way towards the door. I placed my hand on the handle and it opened with a slight squeak.
Looking around, I didn't see anyone.
'Was am I imagining?' Before I could doubt myself further, I heard the door of the house open and close. I walked down stairs and walked out of the house before shutting the door behind me.
I looked around before I spotted a figure that is same size as me in the darkness walking towards the forge. I knew who it was right away.
3rd person POV
8-year-old Hiccup walked inside the forge. It was slightly lightened by the fire. He looks around before finally spotting his friend, who had some papers in his hand and he was looking at them, his back towards Hiccup.
Donar was looking at the blue-prints he had been working on before he felt someone tapping his shoulder.
Jumping in the air with a startled scream before he whipped his head to look behind him before seeing Hiccup with a sheepish look on his face.
"Sorry" Hiccup whispered as Donar was panting and had his hand on his chest as if his heart would jump out of it any second.
Sighing in relief as it was only Hiccup before turning back towards the papers and looking at something that was covered by a piece of cloth.
"Donar?" Turning back to look to meet Hiccup's worried gaze before he whispered "What are you doing here, Hiccup?"
"I heard you walk out, and I followed you" mentally face-palming, He had to be more careful than that next time, thankfully it was only Hiccup and not someone else who heard him.
Looking into his friend's bright blue eyes, Hiccup got even worried at what he saw.
His friend's eyes lacked warmth, they were not as they used to be.
"If I tell you what I'm doing, will you go home and won't tell anyone about it?" Donar glared slightly into Hiccup's eyes, making him flinch before nodding.
"I need you to promise that, Hiccup" sighing when he saw his friend flinch at his stare, his glare softened a bit "I'm sorry for snapping. I'm just tired, and you know it hasn't been going good for me for a while now."
Nodding in understanding, Hiccup smiled. Despite everything that happened, his friend still cared for him and this showed it "I promise"
Smiling slightly for the first time in 3 months, Donar showed Hiccup the papers he was carrying.
"Do you remember that idea we got about a device that launches bolas? Well, I start working on it"
"But for how long? And how did you even work on it? no one saw you get out of the room" Hiccup said as Donar put the papers down
"I sneaked out every night for when everyone was asleep" turning back before Donar starts walking towards something that was covered by a piece of cloth. Grabbing the blanket, Donar pulled it down showing the bola launcher.
"But why are you even working on it" titling his head, Hiccup examined the device, it sure looked close enough to what they drew and imagined it. Looking back towards Donar seeing his eyes lose the warmth in it and turn cold again with a look no child should have.
"Because I'm going to kill that skrill" growling as he covered the device again.
"B-but killing a dragon is scary" Hiccup strutted before flinching as Donar's glare turned towards him, this time it didn't soften.
"You need to grow up Hiccup! We are in a war with those..those BEASTS! I know it is scary, and I'm terrified. But I can't let anyone feel the pain I felt" growling, Donar walked out of the forge, leaving Hiccup alone there, before walking towards the house.
Hiccup just stood there, tears burning his eyes, his only friend, his very first friend, has just treated him just like everyone else in the village. Walking back to his house. Going upstairs. he saw that Donar had already shut his door again just like it has been for the past 3 month.
Falling back on his bed, Hiccup finally couldn't hold it any longer as he just laid there, letting tears flow freely down his face as he fell sleep. His dreams were haunted by Donar bullying him just like Snotlout and the twin.
LINEBREAK
It was afternoon and Hiccup and Stoick were both sitting alone downstairs. Hiccup, having not slept well due to last night's events, starts wondering and fearing that his dreams were going to come true.
Both of them were snapped out of their state by the sound of a door opening and closing upstairs before glancing at each other, could it be...?
Walking downstairs, Donar noticed both Hiccup and Stoick was looking at him with an expression he couldn't read, he only noticed the worried look on Hiccup's face which made him feel guilty about last night.
"What?" raising an eyebrow, Donar asked before he saw Stoick clearing his throat.
"Aye, nothing lad. How are you feeling?" Stoick asked while Donar slowly walked towards them and took a seat beside Hiccup. He missed the flinch from Hiccup as Donar sat beside him.
"I'm feeling better, thank you sir" nodding his head towards the chief before glancing at Hiccup slightly, seeing him watching his movement as if he would jump on him at any moment.
"Don't thank me, Donar. Your parents and I were close friends, it's the least I could do." feeling an ache in his chest at the mention of his parents, Donar simply nodded and remained silence.
Getting up from his chair, Stoick clapped his hands together grabbing the attention of the two children "I have some Chieftan work to do, so I will be gone for some time" with that being said, Stoick grabbed his helmet before heading out of the house.
Glancing at Hiccup, Donar sighs grabbing his attention "I'm..sorry Hiccup for what I did last night, I didn't mean to hurt you" looking down in shame, he hurt his friend. He just hoped that Hiccup could forgive him. Donar lifted his head again as he felt Hiccup hug. Surprised for a second, before he returned the hug.
"It's okay, you had your reasons." pulling back from the hug, Hiccup looked at his only friend, giving him a small smile as he lifted the necklace that Donar gave him "Besides, we are still friends, even brothers now"
Donar smiled as he lifted his own necklace before nodding as the now two bothers hugged again.
A bond was formed between the two, stronger than blood, brothers from different parents. For now, it was all going well.
LINEBREAK
It was night time and Hiccup and Donar were both sitting in the house, doing sketches together again for the first time in a long time. Stoick glanced at the boy with a smile on his face, happy that he is slowly healing and getting better. The boy sure is stronger than he looked.
Suddenly all three jumped as they heard a horn been blown Stoick's face hardened as he grabbed his warhammer before stomping out of the house. Hiccup took a glance at Donar only to have his eyes widen as he saw he wasn't there. Looking around him, he saw no trace of him before he went to look for him in the house.
Seeing no trace of his friend, Hiccup ran to the door of the house with fear for his friend.
Opining the door, Hiccup froze as he saw a monstrous nightmare turning his head towards him, swooping directly towards it before opening its jaws and blasts.
Slamming the door shut, the fire shoots through the slats of wood. Hiccup leaning against the door before collapsing down panting for air from the near-death experience.
He reopens the door, and leaps off the front porch. Hiccup weaves through the erupting mayhem as Vikings pour out of the buildings, ready to fight.
More dragons setting rooftops alight and carrying off sheep.
IN THE FORGE
Gobber was reshaping blades with his hammer-arm before looking outside and frowning, seeing many dragons with the Vikings having troubles fighting them off.
Gobber exchanges his tongs for an axe on stub of an arm "RAAARRGHH!!" letting out a battle cry, the blond blacksmith runs off to the battle. However, he didn't see Donar sneaking into the forge, a smirk crosses his lips as he uncovers the bolas-launcher.
Elsewhere, three nadders surrounded some sheep. Suddenly, Stoick appears with a net throwing it over the dragons with a grunt of effort before jumping in to hold them down.
"Let's get them!" he roars before one of the dragons spits fire, freeing its head. Stoick jumps on it, snapping its jaws shut.
"Mind yourselves! The devils still have some juices in them!"
"Dad!" snapping his head back, Stoick saw Hiccup running towards him. Stoick quickly runs to him before he grabbed Hiccup's vast and lifts him with one hand before a deadly nadder lights up the spot he was in a second ago.
"Hiccup!" turning to glare at his men "What is he doing ou-What are you doing out!?" his glare however rested on Hiccup as he placed the boy down.
"Dad I can't find Donar!" Stoick's eyes widen for a second before they narrowed again as he nodded "I'll search for him, you get back inside!" without waiting for a reply from the boy, Stoick turned and ran back into the battles field. But not before checking on the deadly nadders that were in the net, nodding in approval as he saw Vikings holding them down.
After some time. Something caught the chief's eyes before he focused on what it was.
It was Donar, pushing against some strange wooden device while running as fast as his legs could carry him.
Just as he was going to run after him, a nightmare landed beside him, sweeping its tail underneath his legs, causing him to fall.
Grabbing his hammer, Stoick slammed it against the dragon's head just as it was about to bite his head off.
Donar was running as fast as he could, dodging Vikings and dragons on his way, before he stopped on a hill. Looking up at the sky, it was flashing and lightning was hitting houses as if Thor himself was aiming for the houses, but Donar knew better. He knew it was the beast that killed his mother, and he is going to avenge her.
With a grunt of effort, Donar throws open the wheelbarrow, revealing a double-bowed bellisa-like contraption which he loads with a side level, pulling both strings of the bow before loading a tie bola before spraying some water on it.
Looking around, glaring at the flashing skies, Donar kept his eyes focused on the sky, ignoring everything else around him.
After a few seconds with nothing but silence, a load screech is finally heard. Donar's eyes widen before he looks into the crosshairs.
The screech grew until another house got blown up by a blast of lightning, the form of the skrill was spotted by the fire of the house before it darted away.
Quickly rotating the ballista before firing, the force of the device making him stumble back to the ground. The bolas open mid-air, before wrapping itself around the skrill's body, its wetness preventing it from collecting lightning.
With its wings being tied close to its body, the skrill could do nothing but let out a screech of pain and terror as it plummeting down towards the ground.
Shocked, Donar gets up quickly, seeing the form of the dragon fall towards the forest of Berk.
A proud smile crossed his lips before he grabbed his dragger and running off towards the forest.
Stoick, having witnessed what happened, his eyes were wide with shock. However, he quickly snapped out of it in favor not to lose focus during the raid.
Ducking his head to avoid a tree branch, Donar kept running to where he saw the dragon crash.
After few more minutes of running, Donar saw a tree that was broken and some scales on the ground. Still panting for air from the running.
Uncaring about the possible danger, he kept following the trench and looking around. he soon spots a glimpse of the black creature before he gasped in fright before hiding behind a tree.
Gathering up his courage, he dares to peek out from behind the tree, watching as the black dragon's chest rose and fell rapidly from its breathing as the dragon whimpered in pain.
For a second, Donar felt bad for the skrill, before he shook off his head. These creatures killed his mother. Fighting back against fear. He starts walking towards the skrill. It was black with white underbelly and the spikes on its back and the edge of the claws on its wings were purple.
It was smaller than an adult skrill, probably a teen or hatchling one.
Shaking like a leaf, but still not giving up, Donar approaches the exhausted dragon, dagger pointed at it. Looking at the dragon's body, the bolas were wrapped around it, preventing it from moving.
Finally looking at its head, its eyes were closed, as Donar moved closer, its eyes got blocked the claw of its wing before it was shown again, this time, its eyes were staring into Donar's soul.
Despite being bounded and defeated, the dragon is still strong. Fixing its glare on Donar, full of dislike and fear.
Donar cringes before glaring back into the dragon's blue eyes and raised his dragger, making the fear more known in the beast's eyes. A scowl fixing itself on Donar's features, he growled out
"I will kill you, devil, I will avenge my parents, your kind killed my mother, I WILL KILL YOU!"
the scowl on his face deepened, as he talked more to himself than the dragon. Shutting his eyes tight to prevent the tears from falling, Donar raised the dragger above his head with both hands, ready to sink it in the dragon's chest. Then his resolve cracks, Donar opened his eyes just enough to peek at the dragon, the dragger lowering a bit.
The dragon's glare turned into a hopeful stare as it looked at Donar, hate replaced with shock and hope for mercy.
Donar stared into the dragon's eyes for one more second before shutting them tight again, raising the dragger again.
The dragon, seeing this, loses all hope and just closes its eyes and lays its head back, waiting for the final strike.
Struggling for few more second, Donar snapped his eyes opened before letting out a yell of pain and anger before the brough the dragger down.
It was only dawn before the raid ended, the dragons carrying away the sheep while the Vikings were staring at their flying form in anger and hate.
Looking around, Stoick, for the first time since Valka died, felt fear as he couldn't spot the Fenrir boy. He rushed past few Vikings, Hiccup following quickly behind him, before both of them stopped dead in their tracks at what they saw.
Donar, slowly walking in the village, every Viking staring at him as his hands and dragger, which he was still holding, were covered in red liquid.
"Donar!" Stoick shouted as he and Hiccup ran towards the boy. Quickly looking him over for any injuries. Both were relived as they saw none.
"Donar, what happened?" asking what was in everyone's mind, Stoick looked at the boy who struggled for an answer.
Taking a deep breath, Donar opened his mouth to speak
"I..I saw a skrill, I went to the forge to g..get the bolas launcher that me and Hiccup worked on, I..had a clear s..sho-" struggling to form words in his mouth, before he was cut off by Stoick raising his hand to silence him.
"Aye, it's alright boy, I saw you shoot down that beast out of the sky before you ran into the forest after it. I couldn't follow you as I was too busy with fighting over here" Looking at his red dragger and hands, Stoick nodded towards them "I take it this is the beast's blood?"
Saying nothing, Donar lowered his head and closed his eyes. He couldn't talk more than he already did.
Nodding his head, Stoick turned towards the rest of the village, before spreading his arms, speaking loud enough for everyone to hear.
"To the Great Hall. Tonight, we celebrate our youngest dragon killer!"
Everyone else was speechless for a second before the entire village erupted with cheers as everyone moved to the Great Hall to celebrate, all the bad mood from the raid gone in an instant.
Donar looked around him, fear clinching his heart.
How could he ever tell them that he didn't kill the dragon and instead freed it, and his hands and dragger were covered in red paint.
How could he tell them that he faked the death of the skrill just so they wouldn't go after it?
This is going to change everything.

Hey everyone sorry for not updating for a long time, but as i said, i have studying and lessons to attend. so i probably won't update much, perhaps once every month. anyway, till next time, cya.