Do You Have to?

It's been a week since Drew's birthday. Peter is at his Aunt May's apartment. Everyone else is currently sitting in the living room when Nick Fury walks out of the elevator. Drew's first thought is, "Uh, oh. This can't be good." "Avengers, you have a mission," says Nick. "Who do you need?" asks Tony. "I need all of the girls except for Drew," says Nick. "Can I please come? I've been going on dangerous kill missions since the day after I turned four," says Drew. "I know that, but this one is too dangerous!" says Nick. "But..." starts Drew, only to be cut off by Nat, who says, "Drew. We're tabling this discussion till later." "Fine," says Drew. Then she leaves the room, so Fury brief the girls on the mission. The boys are staying there to hear what the mission is.

Drew arrives on the girl's floor, walks to her room, and slams her door shut. She throws herself face down on her bed and sighs. After a few minutes of sulking, Drew walks over to her desk and writes a letter begging the girls to let her go on the mission. She only wants to go because she hates the thought of not seeing the girls for a few days minimum. They're her lifeline, more so than the boys are. She bonds with them more. They take care of her more. They understand things that boys don't. It's just different.

After finishing the letter in her neatest handwriting, she flops face down on her bed again. She cries a little as she thinks about all of the possible things that could go wrong. Some of them are basically impossible, but others are highly realistic. For example, a building could blow up or catch fire with the girls in it. They could get captured and killed. An asteroid could fall on top of their hotel. They could get abducted by aliens. And lots more. Drew can't stop her tears. She's apprehensive about the girls going on this mission. All it takes is just one slight miss judgment or one small, unnoticed thing, and Drew's life will never be the same.

Drew doesn't even hear her door open. She feels a hand on her back and flinches. "Hey, sweetheart. It's okay. It's just me," says Pepper. Drew sits up and looks at her. "Do you have to go too?" asks Drew. "Yes, unfortunately, I do. This is an all-hands-on-deck mission," says Pepper. "What's the mission?" asks Drew. "I would love to tell you, but I can't say, or Nat will murder me," says Pepper shivering at the thought of what Nat would do if she told Drew without her permission. "Okay. When do you leave?" says Drew.

Pepper takes a deep breath before saying, "Tomorrow at 10:00 AM." Drew is slightly shocked, but at the same time, a part of her isn't shocked. In the Red Room, you were told about missions the day before or sometimes the morning of. "I'm sure you have lots to go over and lots to pack, so you should start working on that," says Drew. "That's true, Drew, but you need me more right now. I can see it in your face. I know you were crying," says Pepper. Drew looks down at her lap and presses the dial on her Shield watch. Then she turns the dial making the apps zoom in and out. She's doing this because she can't bear to look at Pepper right now. She doesn't want to lose any member of the only family she's ever known. "I'm okay, though. I wasn't crying. I just got something in my eye, and I splashed water on my face to get it out," lies Drew. After a few minutes, Pepper says, "You sure you're okay?" "Yeah. I'm okay," says Drew even though she isn't. She doesn't want to worry anyone. "Mmhm," says Pepper. "I'm okay!" says Drew. Pepper nods, knowing that she would benefit from not asking again. "Okay," says Pepper. Then she hugs Drew before getting up and leaving Drew's room, closing her door behind her.

Drew places her head in her hands. She's never felt like this. Scratch that. She's never had anyone to feel this way for. The Avengers are the only family she's ever known. She never knew what love felt like until she met them. Drew hates the thought of her family being ripped apart because of one mission gone wrong.

Drew's door opens again, and Wanda walks in and sits next to Drew on her bed. Wanda places a hand on Drew's back which causes her to look up. She immediately drops her hands to her lap. "Drew, sweetie, you don't need to hide how you feel from anyone. Especially us. We're your family. Pepper told us that you said you're okay. I can feel everyone's emotions, and you are not okay. I'm feeling worry and sadness from you. You wanna talk about it?" says Wanda. Drew shrugs. "What's bothering you the most?" asks Wanda. "I don't want to lose any of you," says Drew. "That's what this is all about? You're worried about the mission going wrong and losing us?" asks Wanda trying to confirm. Drew nods, embarrassed. "Awww, sweetie. No one is going to die. This mission might be an all-hands-on-deck mission, but it's not that intense. We've been on harder and more dangerous missions," says Wanda. "Really?" asks Drew. "Yeah, really," says Wanda. Drew sighs in relief. Wanda hugs her. "I can sense that you're feeling a lot better now," says Wanda. Drew nods. "I'm so glad!" says Wanda. "You should go pack. Pepper told me that you're leaving tomorrow morning at 10:00," says Drew. "You sure?" asks Wanda. "Yeah, I'm sure," says Drew. Wanda nods and hugs Drew again before cupping her cheek and kissing the top of her head. "Drew, I want you to know that you are the sweetest girl in the world. Everything is going to work out," says Wanda. Drew smiles, nods, and gives Wanda a thumbs up. Wanda waves and walks out of Drew's room.