Chapter Four

I woke as my head slipped beneath the water's surface of my now frigid bath and heard what sounded like someone breaking into my apartment. Groggy from the sleeping pills and possibly hypothermia, I pulled myself from the bath, sloshing water all over the floor and scrambled for a robe to cover myself with. Hurriedly, I scanned the bathroom for some kind of weapon, I had nothing other than a flat iron, it was going to have to work. At least I could strangle them with the chord if necessary, I was pretty good at that.

The bathroom door flew open as I moved toward it and I swung the flat iron with all my might before I could register who had just barged into my bathroom. The end of the flat iron cracked Shota across the temple with enough force. I saw the light temporarily fade from his eyes and he stumbled and nearly toppled over. He managed to catch himself in a crouch and caught his surely throbbing head in one hand.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I panicked, as a few droplets of blood seeped out beneath his hand covering the spot I'd struck him. "Shit. Don't move, I'll get the first aid kit." I dropped the flat iron and grabbed the first aid kit from under the sink.

Shota let out a sigh, it sounded like a sigh of relief. "You weren't answering your phone." He offered up an explanation, "I was worried you did something stupid. You seemed upset earlier."

"I did tell you it's not my birthday so you had nothing to worry about." I reminded him softly as I opened the first aid kit and found some antiseptic wipes to clean the wound with.

He sat back on the floor and leaned against the door before slowly removing his hand so I could inspect the damage I'd inflicted on him. It was a fairly small cut, just over his temple but head wounds always bled more. It wasn't going to need stitches, luckily. I knelt next to him, forgetting I was in nothing more than a robe that was now clinging to my wet body.

"Your lips are blue." He noted.

I chanced a glance at his face, looking away from his wound and felt my heart stutter in my chest, his gaze was fixed on me. Normally, being this close to anyone, let alone a man, would make my skin crawl and make me want to scream and run away, but I felt unusually calm and relaxed with him. "I fell asleep in the bath."

"So, I did have cause for concern." He frowned.

I shook my head at this, "is that why you broke into my apartment?"

"I had a bad feeling, after we parted ways." His voice was soft as he scanned my face for some kind of tell.

I resumed my task of cleaning his wound before putting a bandage over it, "you might want to make sure you don't have a concussion."

"Why were you asleep in the bath?" He asked.

"I took a few extra sleeping pills to calm down, I must have grabbed the fast-acting ones by mistake." I shrugged.

"You should warm up, you might be hypothermic." Shota looked to my blue lips before his gaze fell to the now soaked robe molded to my torso like a second skin. He hurriedly averted his gaze, his cheeks reddening.

I suddenly realized how close I was to him in next to nothing and yet I didn't feel the phantom sensations I'd felt for nearly every waking moment since it had happened. Slowly I got to my feet and went to my bedroom to change into some dry clothes.

When I returned to the bathroom, Shota was still on the floor. What if I hit him hard enough to kill him? I knelt on the floor in front of him, worried he'd somehow died from the head wound I'd inflicted on him. His bloodshot eyes met mine before blinking, startling me.

"Can you get up?" I asked, feeling oddly worried about him.

"I didn't think you'd want me roaming about your apartment." He pointed.