Section 1: The Daily Lives of a Certain Detective Agency

Chapter 01 (Part 1-4)

"Kunikida-san. Why was the Armed Detective Agency created?"

Sitting at a seat at the café, Tanizaki Junichirou tilted his head. The tall man sitting in front of him frowned deeply and responded in a serious voice.

"So you don't know?"

"No...I'm sorry."

It was night.

At a narrow, secluded table, two men sat face to face. Between the two of them were two servings of sesame fried dumplings and roasted green tea. Both of them wore serious expressions. They were a strange sight to see, which might involuntarily provoke a second glance—but they were the Armed Detective Agency's investigators, and this was the scene of a late-night meeting.

This was the café known as "Uzumaki." It was located on the first floor of the building which the Armed Detective Agency also occupied, and made tea in a somewhat old-fashioned manner.

"You're right, even though I work here, I don't know about it—why the Detective Agency was founded. Do you know?"

"Of course I know."

The man across from Tanizaki—Kunikida Doppo—nodded.

Tanizaki smiled. "I'm not surprised."

"Only vaguely, though."

"Vaguely?"

"Yeah. This is only hearsay, but apparently the Detective Agency was founded about ten years ago. The president was the one who founded it. There was some sort of encounter, which I've heard was what triggered the establishment of the Agency."

Tanizaki replied, "I see," and nodded. "That really is...vague, isn't it."

"That's why I said so. I don't know any more details beyond this. I haven't had the opportunity to ask him about it again. How about you ask him directly?"

Tanizaki looked somewhat distressed.

"M-me? No way, I'm still just a subordinate."

"It doesn't matter to him at all whether you're of a lower rank or not. He's not the kind of man to conceal something he's asked about."

"But he's so incredible... And moreover, when he's angry, his eyes are sharp enough to bore a hole through an iron plate. If I was a girl I would cry just seeing it."

"Yeah," Kunikida nodded. "The president has mastered every martial art. After founding the Detective Agency, he tore apart many evils and crushed countless conspiracies. He's got a lot of experience. He could just glare at some girls and have them spurting blood from both eyes. Instant death."

"Instant death," Kunikida repeated.

"Sort of like a curse," Tanizaki replied.

"Well, that's the president for you. In any case, why are you asking about the reason for the Agency's founding? I mean, as a member I understand why you'd be curious, but why now?"

"About that," Tanizaki said, bringing his tea to his mouth. Evidently it was still too hot, because he stuck out his tongue with an ow, ow, ow. After that, he spoke again.

"Dazai-san asked me."

"Dazai?"

At that moment, Kunikida's face twitched.

"Yes, so..."

"Wait, hold on. Let me calm down," Kunikida raised his hand to stop Tanizaki. "Lately, just hearing that guy's name gives me a dull pain in my stomach from the stress. When I so much as sense him approaching, my peripheral vision starts flickering black and white—it's a natural proximity warning. So just give me a moment to calm down."