5.

"Tum thik ho?" Karan asked. As soon as he saw Monami's father, he decided to give them some privacy. But he left too suddenly, and Monami looked upset.

Monami shook her head. "Kya hum wapas hotel laut sakte hai?"

Karan nodded. He bid farewell to Brigadier Shah and his wife from both their sides and led Monami back to his jeep. The ride back to the hotel was quiet. Once they reached, Monami went to her room without saying goodbye to Karan. He was a bit concerned about her but he knew he should give her some alone time so he went to his own room.

Monami quickly changed into her pyjamas. She thought she'd go to sleep but she kept tossing and turning on the bed. Monami looked at the phone. There were another 47 texts from Sid. The last person she wanted to talk to was Sid. He'd probably crack some lame joke and she didn't want that. The room was too empty and quiet and Monami's fear of being alone started acting up. A loud noise came outside the room and she panicked.

She quickly got out of her room and knocked on Karan's door. He opened the door, and Monami ran inside and sat on his bed. Karan looked at her in surprise.

"Woh mujhe raat ko akele darr lagta hai." She explained, and when she saw the astonishment in Karan's face, she quickly added, "I mean kisi bhi new jagah pe. Toh kya main aaj raat yahi ruk jau?"

Karan was shocked.

"Main couch pe so jaungi if you want." Monami said. "Ya phir hum saari raat baatein bhi kar sakte hai."

Karan was further traumatised to hear her say that. So he'd have to tolerate her for a whole night, and on top of that, he'd have to hear her talk for the entire night. Monami smiled at him sweetly and he couldn't say no to her.

"Bhook lagi hai." Karan said. "Tumhari wajah se lunch nahi kar paya aur na party mein kuch kha paya. Main dinner order kar deta hu. Tum kuch khaogi?"

"Ice-cream."

Karan looked at her too see if she was serious. Who had ice-cream for dinner? But it was well established that Monami was a little crazy. So he ordered biryani for himself, and ice-cream for her. Monami got comfortable on his bed, and Karan knew that instant that he was going to have to take the couch. The food came soon enough. Monami took her ice-cream and got under the blanket.

"Woh tumhare dad the?" Karan asked, deciding to finally broach the subject.

"Haa." Monami said.

"Toh phir? Aisa kya hua ki tum upset ho gayi?" Karan asked.

"Woh nahi chahte the main academy join karu." Monami said. "I mean directly mana nahi kiya par unhe laga main waha tik nahi paungi. Just like you. Upset hai mujhse. Itna ki mujhe ghar bhi nahi bulaya."

"Shayad woh tumhari zid nahi jaante."

Monami smiled. She felt comfortable talking to Karan. He was a good listener and she knew he wouldn't trivialise her issues like Sid. "Mom ke jaane ke baad woh thoda badal chuke hai. Jab mom zinda thi he was so supportive of her, and her job. Zyada toh mujhe yaad nahi hai, par jab bhi mom mission pe jaati thi, woh mera khyaal rakhte hai. Kabhi unhone koi complain nahi ki. Par Mom ke jaane ke baad unhone army aur army waalo ke khilaaf complaints ki puri list bana li hai."

"Aur tumhe? Tumhe nahi laga tumhari mom ki wardi ki wajah se tumne unhe kho diya?" Karan asked.

"Haa mujhe bhi lagta hai. Agar mom army mein nahi hoti toh na unko goli lagti aur na woh mujhe chodke jaati. But I also remember ki woh apne kaam ko leke kitni proud thi. Unko wardi mein dekhke main proud feel karti thi. Main unki tarah banna chahti hu. Woh bachpan se meri idol hai." Monami said. "I know papa mere liye concerned hai. Woh mujhe khona nahi chahte. Aur woh nahi chahte ki main bhi unki tarah apne pyaar ko kho du, but he doesn't understand... I'm not afraid. I mean I'm afraid, but I still want to do it."

Monami requested for another ice-cream and Karan ordered it for her.

"Ab tumhari baari." Monami said.

"Param bhaiyya... Unki maut hui kuch bigde hue ameerzado ki wajah se. Adventure ke naam pe unhone apni jaan khatre mein daal di. Aur unko bachate bachate Param bhaiyya ki jaan chali gayi. Main wahi tha phir bhi unki jaan nahi bacha paya." Karan said. "Dad aur Param bhaiyya ko khoke mom depression mein chali gayi. Bhabhi ne bohot mushkil se khud ko sambhala hai, aur meri baby, use toh apne dad hi yaad nahi hai."

Monami got up from the bed, and sat beside Karan. She held his arm and kept her head on his shoulder. Karan realised he felt much better and lighter after talking to Monami. They sat together for sometime without speaking another word. Monami finally got up when she heard the bell and went to take her ice-cream. She dug into it but then looked at Karan.

"Tum loge thoda sa?" Monami asked.

Karan just looked at her. He didn't say no so Monami sat beside him and gave him half spoon ice-cream.

"Bas itna sa? Badi kanjoos hai aap Rani Sahiba."

She dug in again and gave him a spoonful. Karan opened his mouth and she fed him. "Ice-cream ke maamle mein main kanjoos hu. Toh bas itna hi milega."

She went and sat on his bed. Karan smiled at her. She was so cute. He was having a hard time believing that he was thinking of her as cute. Monami finished her ice-cream and looked at Karan. She really didn't want to sleep on the couch. The bed was too comfortable.

"Main couch pe so jaunga." Karan said.

"But tumne 4 ghante driving ki aaj. You must be tired na.." Monami said. "Aur kal bhi tum drive karoge. Tum bhi bed pe so sakte ho."

Karan was again surprised. He looked at the bed, then at the couch. There was no way he would fit in that couch. But how could he sleep with Monami? He almost blushed when he thought like that, and he had to remind himself that wasn't a teenager.

"We'll sleep on opposite sides." Monami said, trying to make him feel comfortable.

"Fine." Karan got on the bed, facing the opposite side and lay down.

"Bas mujhe raat ko kick mat karna." Monami said.

"Tum bhi apna pair apna paas rakhna." Karan said, turning off the lights.

"No wait. Ek light on rakho bas."

"Rani sahiba main yahi hu. Mujhe light mein neend nahi aati." Karan said.

"Bas chota sa koi bhi light." Monami said.

Karan switched on the nightbulb, but it was too much. Even Monami didn't want that much light. She quickly took her pillow and laid her head on Karan's side.

"Okay ab off kar do."

Karan sighed and switched off the light. Monami clutched onto his sleeve lightly and eventually drifted off to sleep. It was Karan who kept staring at his Raani Sahiba in confusion. Then he chucked and went to sleep himself.