Episode 21: Kid Grounded

~Downtown Swellview~

Police and fire rescue sirens were wailing in the air, as the emergency services scrambled to the scene where Captain Man and Kid Danger were working. Ray walked over to the manhole where Henry was currently struggling with a sewer full of babies.

"Hey! I got another one!" The boy yelled to his boss, lifting a newborn baby from the sewer and passing it into Ray's arms.

"Aw! What a cute baby. Aw, aren't you a cute little guy?" Ray cooed at the crying infant, his heart swelling at the sight of its starfish hands and chubby legs. He was at the age where he was starting to get broody for his own family and he couldn't help but melt when the baby kicked in his arms.

"Here." He quickly passed the child to a paramedic, worried that his actions were making him seem soft.

"Man, how many babies did she have down there?" Ray asked Henry, knowing that the kid had been there for a while.

"I'm not sure, I'll check for more. Hello, are there any more babies down here?" Kid Danger ducked into the sewer again, shouting to see if any would cry in response. Whilst he was searching, Ray glanced up and saw the mother of the babies sitting on a drum barrel and munching on a large block of cheese.

"Ma'am, can I talk with you?" The superhero asked the woman politely in his Captain Man voice.

"What?" The mother groaned in an agitated tone, clearly enjoying her cheese too much to like being interrupted.

"Could you stop eating the cheese for a minute?" Ray replied in an annoyed voice. This woman had endangered her newborn children and he wasn't going to let that slide.

"Did you really think it was a good idea to crawl down into a sewer to give birth?" He asked once she had stopped eating.

"That how we do it where I come from." The woman snapped, wiping her cheesy, greasy fingers on her grubby shirt.

"Well, where do you come from?" Ray asked confusedly, having not heard of that tradition anywhere.

"The sewer!" She shouted in his face, as Henry emerged from the manhole again.

"Okay, I think this is the last baby." He announced, lifting another bundle of joy in his arms. He passed the baby to another paramedic as Ray knelt down beside the hole.

"Hey, kid, why don't you knock off and go home?" Ray told him, thinking that his sidekick had down more than enough for one night.

"You sure?" Henry asked, not wanting to leave his boss to fight alone.

"Yeah, it's already past midnight and you got school in the morning." The large man acknowledged that Henry had responsibilities the next day as they both stood up and moved away from the sewer.

"Oh! I think I'm having me another baby!" The sewer woman groaned, bending over and panting. How many more kids could come out of her?

"Oh, no," Ray said, as the woman scrambled to the manhole.

"Another one?" Henry wasn't sure if he could handle another sewer birth.

"I got to get back in that sewer!" The mother cried, only for the superhero duo to hold her back. The other people on the scene looked on in confusion as Captain Man and Kid Danger wrestled with a pregnant lady trying to get in a sewer.

~Later~

Henry climbed up the tree in his backyard up to his bedroom window. It had been a very long night, full of birthing and crying and sewage, and he was just looking forward to collapsing into bed. Stepping through the window, he looked around the darkness in his room before tiptoeing to his closet. He shrugged off his jacket and opened the door, only for him to be scared half to death by Piper.