19 - He Will Die ( Edited POV)

"Which one ?" Surbhi asked holding up two identical ghagra cholis, one yellow and one orange.

"Yellow." I just had a towel wrapped around me as I made my way towards the hearth. I spread my hair in front of it as my ladies busied themselves with the jewellery selection.

Once satisfied, they brought everything to me and I got dressed in no time. I slipped on the simple gold and glass bangles as Rashmi fastened my jhumkas after securing a thick gold chain without a pendent around my neck. Once done, the young artist Sakhi offered to do my makeup. I always preferred to do everything on my own but as time was scarce, I allowed it that one time. Sakhi applied kohl around my green eyes with the precision of a portrait artist and applied red lip rouge on my lips and cheeks with utmost care. At last I put a glittering stone bindi in the middle of my brows and applied sindoor. As my hair was still damp, I left them open and secured them with pins to prevent them from falling over my face.

"One last thing and you will be ready to go." Rashmi pointed towards the drawer of perfumes.

The Puja had gone by in a blur and I was thankful that the Pandit hadn't asked for Rudraksh yet. All the time during the Puja, I couldn't focus on it, I couldn't focus on anything except for the front door hoping to see a certain someone walk in but no. No one did. No one came. The lord Ganesh Puja was finished and I still had one hour before the other one. I decided to look around for the arrangements. Everything was going smoothly except for the presence of Vikram. He was there sitting on the diwan, stuffing his face with traditional sweets as the maids buzzed around him like flies. He looked like a traditional sweet at this point.

I looked around the haveli, it was decorated like a bride. Flowers, new curtains, new lightings, new lamps, everything looked new and stellar. It was no longer mourning the loss of the King, it was welcoming me to a new world as the Queen. My cousins were busy talking to each other about their hair and clothes, my ladies were going mad as always trying to keep record of everything that needed the Queen's attention and the people of Somm were seated on the Kashmiri carpets laid out for them across the vast halls with warm smiles on their faces, looking over at the portrait of lord Ganesh by the huge Havan Mandap.

Evening came in no time and I was certain Rudraksh was not going to come. As I sat on the wooden bajot for the Durga Puja, the Pandit looked at me with questioning eyes.

"Shivanya, my child, it's time for the King consort to come out of hiding." He said.

"Panditji... Can't we do this without him ? I'm afraid he can't be here."

"The Pratha is very important for the coronation not just because I say so, your majesty, but because it is crucial for both you and your reign. His Grace is supposed to place the holy Kalash in the holy circle along with you. Anything wrong will break hell loose upon us and your marriage." Said the Pandit, his voice no longer soft but stern and determined.

"I know...." My voice was almost inaudible.

"I hope I am not too late, Mrs Rana ? Forgive me Panditji. You know how harsh snow is this year." Came a familiar deep voice followed by an intoxicating scent that made me feel things I knew I should keep myself from feeling during a holy practice. Before I could look up, I felt him settle beside me and my heart picked up race in the most delicious frenzy. He had come. For me.

"Of course not Alpha Rana. You are right on time, here." The old Pandit smiled at us before handing us the holy Kalash loosely wrapped in a red cotton cloth.

Rudraksh placed his hand on mine to receive the Kalash and we placed it in the holy circle made with vermilion, rice and flower petals on top of a small velvet throne.