Hunger

Lucifer wasn't at breakfast this morning.

Despite her best efforts, that was all Sabrina could think about. He hadn't given any reason for his absence the evening prior, and she couldn't think of anything so important that he would leave on the day before her wedding.

There was a sharp pain in her side, and she yelped, "Ow!"

"My sincerest apologies, my queen," Freya said, redirecting the straight pin from her skin back into the fabric of her dress, "You were swaying."

"Pre-wedding nerves," she said, "Are you almost done?"

"Yes," Onoskelis assured, undoing the pearl buttons on the back of the dress, "It is ready for you to wear tomorrow evening."

It took both of them to lift the heavy tulle and lace ball gown over her head, leaving her in her chemise and hoop skirt. When it was gone she spotted Lilith standing in the doorway with wide eyes.

"My queen," she called.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

"Your father has returned, and... it appears that he's brought a wedding gift for you."

A wedding gift? He hadn't said anything about getting her a present, and she wasn't sure she wanted to know what Lucifer's definition of a wedding gift was. It was probably something horrific and macabre.

"Where is he?"

"Your chambers," she informed her, "You're going to want to see this."

Sabrina immediately followed her, equal parts curious and frightened. Whatever it was, it was probably best to just get it over with. She could play the part of a dutiful daughter, accepting whatever he had brought her, and promising to cherish it forever. She didn't have a choice.

The walk to her chambers was long. At least, it felt that way. The hallway seemed to go on for miles, but that was probably the dread twisting her stomach up in knots.

When they finally made it to her chambers, the doors were wide open and a fire was burning brightly in the fireplace. She could see Lucifer sitting tall in one of her oversized armchairs. He appeared deep in thought as he stared into the flames.

Tentatively, she headed towards him, "Father?"

He turned towards her, his face lit up in a wicked smile, "As requested."

He gestured to the other chair beside him. Cautiously, she peeked around the edge of the chair to see what, or rather who occupied it.

"Dorcas!"

It had been quite some time since she asked for her as a handmaiden. Well, it had felt like a long while because all of her time had been spent perfecting every little last-minute detail for her wedding day.

Truth be told she had been expecting her father to show up with Dorcas the very next day, but she was grateful he didn't. It bought her more time. Now, she felt guilty for that feeling.

The red-headed witch was soaking wet and shivering. Her feet and legs were covered in some kind of vile, putrid sludge. She couldn't even see her shoes, or if she was even wearing any. She seemed so small and helpless.

Sabrina never thought she would live to see a day where Dorcas Night seemed small.

Logically, Sabrina knew what to do. She knew that she had to get her out of her wet clothes to prevent hypothermia from setting in, but she was dead. Could she even get hypothermia?

"I'll leave you two to prepare for tomorrow," Lucifer said, getting up out of his chair, "That is, if you still insist on marrying that golem."

"I do," she said.