29 | Picture Perfect

The familiar feeling of the brush lightly touching her skin felt like an attempt to calm her as Alana sat rigidly on the cushioned leather seat.

Truth be told, she was nervous.

Interviews alone were already nerve-racking. Now throw in one where she was going to share with the world what she had kept hidden for so long— fuck yeah, anyone would be filled with anxiety.

"And done," Julia exclaimed softly, placing the brush back down onto the table.

Alana slowly opened her eyes to see her makeup, once again, flawlessly done by her talented makeup artist. "Thank you, Jules— for always making me look amazing."

Julia gave her a supportive smile, knowing that the girl was feeling a bit nervous today. "Well, I have a very beautiful client— not much work needs already done."

She winked, causing Alana to bite back a smile.

"And I know you're a bit nervous, darlin', but don't be," continued Julia, patting Alana's shoulder, careful not to ruin the perfectly curled strands that fell flawlessly down her back, knowing it would end with Tyler nagging in their ears for the rest of the day. "All you're doing is telling your story and it'll be all over soon. You're strong, and every time I look at you, I get reminded why so many young boys and girls look up to you. You're going to kill it during the interview or as the kids say these days, kick ass."

A smile broke the stoic worried expression Alana had on as she turned around and practically jumped onto Julia, giving the older girl one of her special Alana hugs.

"You're only a few years older than me, Jules," chuckled Alana, hugging the girl tighter. "But seriously, I'm so grateful for you, Ty, and Miranda. And you have no idea how badly I needed to hear those words."

Julia patted her back. "We're always going to be here for you, darlin'. Now, let me go— Ty's going to throw a fit if he sees even a single strand of hair out of place. And we both know somehow when it comes to hair, he seems to get eagle eye vision, but when it comes to reading, he all of the sudden claims to not be able to see."

"I heard that!" Tyler shouted from somewhere outside of the room.

Alana snorted, knowing how true Julia's words were. She lost count of times where they would be ordering food and Tyler would complain about not being able to read the menu, yet he could practically spot a bad hair dye job from half a mile away.

You would think she was exaggerating, but it was true.

"Alright, just say you hate me," Alana dramatically pulled away, this time causing Julia to snort, used to hearing Alana's dramatic responses. "Just say you hate my hugs."

Julia shook her head with amusement before heading towards the door. "I'll leave you alone for a bit to gather your thoughts, darlin'."

"Appreciate you," Alana thanked Julia before blowing the older girl a kiss.

"Kick their asses!" Julia called out before shutting the door behind her, leaving Alana to her thoughts in the brightly lit dressing room.

"Is that how you even use that phrase...?" muttered Alana, tilting her head in slight confusion.

The dressing room was now silent as she took her seat once again on the cushioned seat in front of the large mirror. She closed her eyes as she once again tried to calm herself down.

But she was just still too anxious and nervous.

"You're practically shaking, baby."

Turning around with surprise at the sudden familiar voice, one that she was yearning to hear, she watched as Asher walked up next to where she was sitting. She didn't even hear the door open and close.